B&W 800d's or MAGICO V3's?

considering a move from my 800d's to the V3's? is this a side ways move or will it be a big improvement?
koegz

Showing 10 responses by mapman

"Magico speakers are really something special. They don't sound like conventional box speakers, more like dipole ESL or planars, with the dynamics of a good box speaker. They take advantge of both worlds."

Never heard Magicos but from this description, they are in a different camp than B&Ws for sure. Sounds like a personal preference choice, not a matter of which is better.
Koegz,

Really, I think you are just looking for a more open and transparent full range sound. Sonus Strads certainly fit the bill, but I'm not sure you necessarily have to spend that much to get what you're looking for. I would think twice or three times before starting there. Even if cost is no option, you want to make sure the speaks fit the room before springing.

Also, I'm noticing your listening room with the speakers set up around the corner and what appears to be mirrored walls. This does not look optimal for your B&Ws from what I can see. It appears you are trying to enable a wider soundstage with this configuration and that maybe size of the soundstage is a problem for you. Maybe try a different configuration with speaks at various distances apart near a shorter dimension wall? Some room treatments might help even once the placement is optimized, though that would be secondary. I don't think the refined very British timbre of the B&Ws are a mismatch per se to your room acoustics from what I can tell. though, so I do not think that is likely a problem.

I can't really tell how big the room is. Maybe the speaks just do not have the room to breathe and image well needed?

If so, you might consider something smaller even possibly, and possibly LESS expensive with a good sub if needed to extend back to the range of the B&Ws or perhaps even better.

I owned B&W P6's. Not as high end or large as yours, but I found even they needed a larger room to sing. If I had the right room, I would probably still have them because I did like what they did when set up properly. Unfortunately, I did not have a suitable room to put them in so they went.

B&Ws are not best in class in terms of being FAST or transparent though, I have found. Listen to them next to any pair of decent Triangles or Maggies and you will hear what I mean.

For large, full range sound stage without sub and flexibility in placement in various rooms, the Ohm Walsh speaker line is the most cost effective option I know of. I own two pair that helped send both Maggies and B&Ws out the door in my application.
I by chance heard some symphonic stuff on a pair of the smaller Magicos stand mounts in NYC this past weekend with a top notch CDP and some very high end tube amplification (>120W/ch) and Nordost wires. It was definitely a sound I could live with. Very airy, smooth and detailed, with a nice and natural sounding "warmth" to the string section. The low end extension and dynamics were not to the nth degree, but overall I'd say the system was very pleasing. There was definitely still a significant "wow" factor there for me.
Koegz,

Before dropping $20000+ on new speaks, maybe consider auditioning a pair of Ohm 5 series 3 speakers. You can get an extended in-home trial period to break them in and make sure they fit the bill. I'd say they can do pretty much what the Magicos can in terms of overall presenation with proper amplification andeven more from what I've heard in terms of sound stage, dynamics and low end extension and finesse I would say, but at a fraction of the cost. With the Ohm 5s, I don't miss either B&Ws or Magnepans that I've owned in the past, each of which had their unique limitations.
Shadorne has a good point. Perhaps you have stated it already, but what is it that is missing that will knock you out of your chair?

Spending more money on speaks is not necessarily the answer. You already have outstanding speaks, Any move is most likely lateral. But lateral is not a bad thing as long as you know what you're looking for sound wise and have a reasonable plan to achieve it.

Assuming different speaks might help, in lieu of improving room acoustics, you may need to try something other than conventional box designs to get the wow your looking for.

Omni's are one possibility, which is why I suggested the Ohms as a cost effective place to test the waters. Active speakers? Maybe. Planars like Maggies? Maybe, if the room is not a problem, otherwise forget it. Tube amplification is another possibility.

Avalon is a distinctive line of large expensive full range speaks reknowned for detail and resolution that come to mind that I've heard and that sound nothing like B&Ws or Magicos from what I recall. Avalon Opus or Indras or something similar might be worth a listen, but I think these can get to be quite expensive as well.
Didn't get a chance to hear JM lab Grand Utopia, though they are on my list t hear someday. Heard Profile line Focals and like them very much. From what I've read, I'd expect the GU's must be outstanding.
Koegz,

Its registering with me that you are looking for a sound with more "muscle", like perhaps only the very large, most expensive full range speakers, like the Grand Utopias, can generally provide. If you can afford it and have the space for them, that's the way I predict you will go.

If you want to try something different and low risk first that might save you some $$$s and still provide the wow factor your looking for, I'd still recommend considering the Ohm 5s.

Keep us posted. I'm very interested to see where you end up! Good luck!
Only a 2-3 year warranty for Magicos is certainly not what you would expect, especially given the hype and cost. If I were seriously considering buying a pair, that alone would make me think twice.
Koegz,

Smart move working on the configuration before changing any pieces. Your system as is should sound fabulous if set up properly, IMO.

There are services and info on the web available I believe that might help you optimize your setup/roomconfiguration. My understanding is Sumiko offers such a service and there are others. Not sure if it is available to all or not.