B&W 685 or Paradigm Titan/mini Monitor V6

So I'm new at all this and am looking for advice for first time buying. A friend of mine has B&W 601(?) speakers and loves them and they do sound good. So that's where I started, I also found a forum that recommended Paradigm speakers which based on the reviews I've sound like they are good for the price offered. But I'm still not sure what I should be looking for before I go out and demo these. My budget is kind of small and would like to spend no more then $700 for the speakers, I'm looking for speakers that would be good for music (mostly rock but my tastes and albums do range quite a bit) and movies. Are these speakers a good start or are there other brands I can check out that are better within my price range? Also, I should note that at the moment I own an old Marantz 1060 receiver, but I plan on replacing it with one that will allow for the best sound (in my budget) with the speakers I buy.

thanks
digiac
I havnt heard the Paradigm mini Monitors but I have heard the entire 6 series line and found that it was grossly overpriced for how it sounded. I highly suggest you avoid the B&W 6 series.
I have had a pair of 685s for a year now, and I love the sound. I picked an open box pair up for $500, and I think they are very competitive at that price. $650 may be a bit high, that is what they go for at retail in my area.
I had a roommate who ran Paradigm towers and I always felt they were a bit heavy in the low end. I prefer a more neutral sound, and the 685s fit that bill. I would also check out Wharfedale and Monitor Audio in this price range, if you can.
IMO the B&W 6 series isnt that great for the price. I suggest you look/listen around a bit more. Have u looked into focal/infinity/psb/revel compared to paradigm? :)
the 685's are great monitors.. excellent for the price imo, i prefer b&w over paradigm, but best to go demo both
Several years ago I was in the market for new speakers.The only decent brands in my area were B&W and Paradigm at a home theater emporium(no stereo stores in the area).I listened for a couple of hours to several sets of speakers.I ended up with Paradigm Monitor 7's.I just felt they sounded better than the B&W's and turned out they were less expensive.This was just my experience,you need to listen to the speakers and use your ears as your guide.