Ayre QB-9 DSD or Codex?

I don’t need the preamp function of the codex and the optical input is not a big deal for me. In terms of pure sound quality of USB input which is better? I’ve read that the QB-9 has a slight edge but I have yet to hear the Codex.

Also considering the Esoteric D-07x.

Any input on these would be fantastic.

Thanks!
Ag insider logo xs@2xhk_fan
I also agree that a Codex is a great sounding, terrific value DAC. Comparing it with a QB-9 I thought it sounded less analytical and warmer, without sounding overly euphonic.

Other thing I like about the Codex is that I can run both my Aurender and CD transport. The QB-9 has one input.
I can't believe someone hasn't jumped on the Codex for $1200 in the classified adds. I bought a near mint condition Codex at about the same price here and could not be happier with my purchase. Makes the Bluesound Node 2 sound like a giant killer. Especially in balanced mode.
I’m trying to jump on one but the seller didn’t reply back to me yet...

Also, I don’t run balanced on my setup, so I don’t know if I would get the full benefits of the Codex.
After doing a bit more research I'm not also looking at the Mytek Brooklyn+ which supports MQA, comes in around $2k new and has a 30 day in-home trial.

I know the QB-9 fairly well and enjoyed it, but MQA intrigues me and I am a Tidal user.

DAC technology moves so quickly it's really difficult to know when to jump in.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.