Axpona 2022 what impressed you?

I'll start. The Borrensen 01 playing Otis Taylor 'Resurrection blues' was stunning! I also enjoyed the Legacy Aeris on the first floor playing Nils lofgren 'Keith don't go'. In the smaller rooms there was a $4k pair of speakers with what looked like 18" woofers and a horn tweeter that performed well. While the kef ref 3 sounded harsh the ref 5 in a similar small room sounded great just reminding me how much incremental set up affects the demo. I only had a few hours on saturday and missed many rooms due to crowds and would enjoy hearing others impressions from the show.

128x128steve59

Showing 1 response by somegeoffguy

I thought the Elac room sounded pretty good for a hotel room - they brought Elac Concerto S507 - 7 driver small tower speakers. They hit all the notes, and sounded amazing down low with four 6.5" side firing drivers. And the Krell/Estalon combo was amazing. The engineer claimed it could 1600 watts into 2 ohms all Class A. Not sure if I believed that, but it sure did sound good!

I was shocked to see the 801D4 in a tiny hotel room. There was a line and I didn't bother waiting (no way were they going to sound good). Also disappointing I would say the Dynaudio room. Just didn't sound full like the other rooms were. Being next door to a phenomenal Focal setup probably didn't help them either.

Best part of the show, though, was doing something normal after two years of lockdowns.

-Geoff