AXPONA 2017 Protocol

I need some wisdom from this community. I'm attending AXPONA for the first time on Saturday, April 22. I specifically want to hear a selection of certain speakers in order to narrow down what I plan on auditioning in my home. So, is it encouraged or frowned upon to bring a USB with various musical selections on it and ask for the USB to play through the systems being demonstrated? Also do any serious price negotiations occur at AXPONA, or is that expected to happen at a later time in a more private setting? Finally, I would appreciate hearing from veteran attenders the absolute one thing I must experience on my one and only day and also the one thing I should not waste my time with at the show.
I look forward to your insights and advice.   
Ag insider logo xs@2xastewart8944

Showing 10 responses by milpai

@ astewart8944,
I was at the show for 1 day in 2015 and it was just enough if you want to audition loudspeakers. This time I plan on attending Saturday and Sunday.
I carried my USB key with music I am familiar with and the dealers did allow me to play my music - most, if not all.
I would love to hear the Spendor D7/D9. But Kyomi Audio would not be demonstrating them this year. I am hoping some other dealer carries it. I understand that ProAcs would be there. So looking forward to it. I did listen to the PBS Imagine T3s and wanted to like them, but compared to the B&W 804D3, the trebles seems truncated.
Something that is out of my price range - Muraudio - do visit them. In my books, they are the best of the show at Axpona.
@kyomi_audio Thanks for the offer. It is going to be a challenge to stay after the show. We would be visiting family as well. So my family is traveling with me. So it might not be possible.Will your shop be closed during AXPONA?
@astewart8944 , I would be interested to know what you think about the Spendors once you hear them. These are like a mystery to me - heard a lot of good things about them, but not have heard them. 
@astewart8944 ,
Did you get a chance to listen to the ProAC D30S? I was impressed, with the speakers being driven by Naim. They sounded very dynamic. They are more up-front, than my current system. And the bottom end on these were very deep. One song on which they impressed me was the Boz Scaggs - Thanks to You. They rumbled the room. I had not imagined that these could do it. Last year I was reading a post on this forum where the poster mentioned that he could not get bass from his D30R. Something must have been seriously wrong in his system.
Will wait for you feedback on these, as well as on th Spendor D7, after you audition them.
Al,
Thank You for the detailed report.
I think our experiences match a lot. I heard the PSB Imagine T3s on Sunday at the Saturday Exchange room. They sounded so much better than the demo I have a few weeks back. At that time the dealer was comparing the T3s vs the B&W 804D3s. I think the B&Ws have a hot treble, and so the PSBs sounded a bit rolled off. But on their own in the AXPONA room, they sounded great.
Monitor Audio PL300II were very good indeed. They sounded balanced.
I too was wowed by the Joseph Audio Perspectives. So much heft for a diminutive loudspeaker. They sounded pretty nice too.
I think you would have loved the ProAcs and the Atohm loudspeakers. The bookshelf Atohm GT1-HD was sounding like a medium sized floorstanders. I had to step to the speakers (2 floor standers besides it) to make sure that the bookshelf versions were playing and not the floorstanders. Slight bling factor aside, they sounded very good.
I also liked the TAD and the Kii. The Kii had no business to sound as good as it did in the demo that was given. I believe it is the DSP magic. One speaker that impressed me this time compared to my experience from 2015 was the ATC SCM40. But I was told that the combination of my Parasound A21 and this loudspeaker will not sound good. This speaker requires much more power. Not sure how true that is. But in the actual ATC room the SCM50 was making some of the best music of the show. These can make you get up and dance.
I liked the MBL, Vivid Audio Giya, YG and the Sonus Faber rooms too. These were all the upper echelon rooms. One thing I should mention is that, in general the rooms did not sound bad in this show - unless the speaker was not good. And that leads me to the Endeavor. I was disappointed by them in 2015 and that did not change in 2017 as well.

And I enjoy reading detailed report. So please do not apologize. I am sure folk here also enjoyed your detailed report. If you can get a chance, try to listen to PMC and ProAc when you are in San Antonio. Good Luck, and I will wait to hear your feedback.

Thanks!
If anyone is interested in the songs that were playing at AXPONA 2017, I have compiled a list of 53 songs that I have managed to compile and shared on Twitter, with my moniker name.
Is anyone aware how to post Twitter link here?
@astewart8944 ,
You are welcome. Some songs are really good and some are demos to impress!
I am seriously looking at the ProAc D30RS and PSB Imagine T3. But before I settle down, I would love to hear the ProAc D48R and the Spendor D7/D9s. Will travel this summer to audition the loudspeakers.
Thanks @333jeffery. But looks like there are no dealers where I can audition them.