AVP-S How good on 2 chanel and movies?

I am purchasing an AVP-S (should arrive in a couple of days) and replacing my current preamp which was a psaudio pca2. I liked the way the pca2 sounded and I used it with nautilus 804's. Also are there certain things that can be done to make the AVP-S a better two channel device (i.e. its sensitive to power cords etc). The reason for the switch is to goto combine movies and 2 channel in a 20X20 foot room. Thanks.
jeanine571

Showing 3 responses by friz1313

The AVP-S is good for movies and fairly good for music. It doesn't draw out subtle sounds to the final degree. But it has a rich, refined sound. The AVP2 is definitely a step up for music. Better defined bass, better separation and space between the instruments. I'd say the AVP-S is better than most $800 2 channel preamps. To beat the AVP2 you'd have to go up to $1500. I heard them both against a Theta CasaNova with the Nova winning fairly handily. But with the prices they're going at these days, you're definitely getting more than your money's worth for a surround sound\music processor. It should cleanly beat your PCA2 :-).
Yes, I did notice an improvement in sound over the stock power cord when I switched it out. I used a Kimber PK14. It runs around $150. There was a noticeable improvement in the bass. And the overrall sound just seemed to have more oomph. I've never heard the PK14 Gold, but it's supposed to be even a greater stepup in performance. That's about the most I'm willing to spend on a power cord however. I would even take the PK over Kimber's Palladian series some people rave about for $1040. The PK14 improves the sound without detracting or overcompensating in some areas as other more expensive cords I've heard do.
Jeanene, great to hear you are happy with your purchase! That's a pretty big step-up also getting the PMDT :-). I found a PMDT manual, and there are several possibilites why you can't get them to talk together: 1st, I thought that when you bought a PMDT, Proceed was supposed to provide a specific RJ-45 cable to connect it to an AVP or AVP2. I'm not sure, but I don't think any old telephone cord will do.

2nd, make sure the PMDT input name on the AVP is PMDT.
3rd, your AVP has to have version 3.0 or later. When you go into your AVP settings you can find this. Or, in the about box the date has to be 10/22/99 or later. If it isn't, you'll need to get a firmware update to get them to talk to one another.
4th, your AVP needs to have the PHAST daughtercard installed.

I'm not sure if you have a Madrigal dealer in your area familiar that could help with the AVP or not. I contacted Harmon when I was having problems a couple years ago, and they got it straightened out pretty quickly. Other people have complained of going months without any resolution.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.