AV receiver a better bet than my current setup?

Hey all

I have a Backert Labs Rhumba, a Krell KAV-250a and B&W 702-S2s

I was, some time ago, in a hi-end audio store looking to get info about something I knew little about: home theater.

The store owner explained it all to me (now I get it), and recommended an AV receiver by Marantz. I forget the model #, but it was in the 2k range.

During the course of the convo, I told the owner that I would need speakers for the HT as the B&Ws were for music listening (stereo that I currently have). He seemed a bit surprised, and recommended that I run my CD player to the Marantz, plug the B&Ws to the Marantz, and listen to music that way. When I told him I was surprised he recommended that, he said that this setup would sound better than what I currently have.

I am sure the Marantz sounds good, but have doubts that it sounds better than the Rhumba to the Krell. Thoughts on this?
egrace
Is this a joke?  You’ve got some GREAT electronics and am surprised you’d even be taken in by the salesman’s BS that you should consider ANY receiver over them.  If this is true, NEVER speak to that salesperson again as he/she obviously has NO idea what they’re doing and just trying to make a sale.  If I’m not mistaken, Backert may be one of the few tube preamps that can deactivate their tubes while being in HT bypass mode, and if this is the case it would even make it an easier decision to get an AVR with front pre-outs so you can just run them into the Rhumba and have the best of both worlds with the push of a button.  Either way, RUN AWAY from the ABSOLUTE IDIOT who’s recommending a Marantz AVR over your excellent electronics.  Yeesh. 
I wonder if there was just a misunderstanding between you and the store owner. If not, go to a different store. I've never heard an HT receiver, at any price, equal a good 2-channel stereo system for playback of 2-channel stereo music.

The  Backert Labs Rhumba pre-amp has HT bypass functionality. You can "add" HT functionality to your system, still using the Krell and B&W speakers for the front L&R speakers/amp without affecting the sound of your 2-channel system at all. You could simply buy a decent HT Receiver that has L&R pre-outs, connect the L&R pre-outs from the HT receiver to the HT bypass inputs of the Backert. Then connect center channel, surround speakers and subwoofer to the HT receiver for power. Finally, connect any HT source (DVD/BlueRay Player, TV Cable Box, etc.) to the HT receiver. 

I've set up "combo systems" like this on multiple occasions. Works like a champ. When playing 2-channel music, you can turn off the HT receiver. No affect at all on your 2-channel music system. When playing HT, turn on the HT receiver, turn off the Backert and now the L&R HT front channel content is directed through the Backert to the Krell amp and B&W speakers. 

You can add HT without affecting the 2-channel stereo music playback system you already enjoy.
Is this a joke?

Nope - no joke - it actually happened. Thx for the compliment on my gear; and although I wouldn’t call him an idiot, I hear where you are coming from. :)

I wonder if there was just a misunderstanding between you and the store owner.

Definitely not. but thank you.
It looks like you have stellar gear. Unless you are dealing with budget issues,leave the home theater receiver for home theater.