Aurender and native DSD output

For those out there that are using the Aurender N20 streamer in tandem with a DAC that has both AES/EBU and USB digital input, can you please let me know if you are able to play DSD files via the Aurender over the AES/EBU output when the "Use native DSD on USB" setting is on?

In my case, this does not work, if I have the "use native DSD on USB" on, I cannot play any DSD/DSF files over AES/EBU, I can only play them over USB.. Flac and other formats work fine.

In my case the Aurender N20 is connected via both the AES/EBU and USB interfaxces to the Chord Dave DAC.

thijazi

Further more in the Aurender manual/user guide you have the following information…

Audio Specifications

Analog Outputs N/A
DAC Chipset N/A
Audio Word Clock OCXO
Analog Outputs Supported Format N/A
Digital Outputs USB Audio (Dedicated), AES/EBU (OCXO Controlled), BNC Coax SPDIF (OCXO Controlled), RCA Coax SPDIF (OCXO Controlled), Optical/TosLink SPDIF (OCXO Controlled)
USB Output Supported Format PCM up to 768kHz, DoP up to DSD256, up to DSD 512 Native for USB output
SPDIF & AES/EBU Output Supported Format PCM: Up to 32-bit / 192 kHz; DSD: Up to DSD64 via DoP

I understand the technicalities, let me explain what I am trying to understand here...

The "Use native DSD on USB" option, should only affect the USB interface, and should have nothing to do with the AES/EBU, Optical BNC, or SPDIF interfaces which the Aurender offers.

But, when I have the same setting On, and I listen via the AES/EBU out, why would AES not play the DSD files?.... Funny enough, the minute I turn the setting off, AES has no issues playing back all my DSD resolutions, from DSD64 to DSD256!

Something makes no sense here.

When you turn native dsd off it sends the DoP via AES. Use whatever sounds best. 

Does this help?

“The "Use native DSD on USB" option for the Aurender N20 music server affects only the USB interface and does not impact the AES/EBU, Optical BNC, or SPDIF interfaces.

This is because many DACs support DSD decoding only through USB inputs, while SPDIF and AES/EBU interfaces typically do not support native DSD.

The "Use native DSD on USB" option on the Aurender N20 does not affect the performance of the AES/EBU interface. This option is specific to the USB interface, which is typically used for DSD playback, as most DACs support DSD decoding only via USB inputs. The AES/EBU interface operates independently and is governed by its own clocking system, such as the OCXO clock in the Aurender N20, which ensures high-quality audio output without interference from USB settings”.