Auralic Vega G2.1 vs Lumin T3

I'm in search of a DAC / streamer / preamp combo and I am looking for some help. I am considering the Auralic Vega G2.1 or a Lumin T3. Does anyone have any experience / recommendations on either of these I have mentioned. Thanks!

tntmcdade

@mgrif104 

If you like Roon - be happy with it. It’s clearly the best user experience. Just also know there might be better sound available. The good thing is - you can actually have both. Use Roon for everyday and keep Lighting DS (or whatever proprietary system you’re on) for critical listening. It’s no problem to have both.

The above is really good advice.  I am leaning toward keeping my Mojo Audio DejaVu (server/streamer/NAS) and using it as a networked server/NAS running roon core and allowing me to use different roon endpoints for different systems.  If I were able to set things up to have a choice of playing roon or playing the streamers own proprietary player software you are absolutely correct that it would be the best of both worlds.  I still like what I have read about the Auralic Aries G2.2 over similar competitors for several reasons including the quiet power supply, ability for onboard file storage (if I decide to give up roon), well-regarded proprietary software player (Lightening DS), and multiple outputs including a high performance USB output but also coax and AES/EBU.  I just haven't heard much feedback from users about how it sounds, other than a couple of very positive reviews by the-ear and positive-feedback.

I ended up getting the T3 used a couple of months ago and added an sbooster. Unfortunately the T3 can’t be used as a stand alone DAC, so I will have to upgrade to a separate DAC and streamer down the road.

I’ve tried Auralic, Aurender, and Lumin over the years. They’re all very good, but I think that the Lumin players offer the best value. For some reason they have decided to exclude digital inputs from all of their streamer/dacs except the P1. The T3 can be had for less than $4K new, but has their latest/best processor in it. The streamer/dac integration may be a deal breaker from some, but personally not searching for the next best usb cable and/or purifier has been as liberating as finding a nice integrated. Not to mention the LEEDH volume control which works exactly as advertised.