Audiophiles, Music, and Equipment: Can We Be Both "Conservative" AND "Progressive"?

The terms “conservative” and “progressive” can be highly differentiating, polarizing, and clearly segmenting among those who identify as one, or the other. As audiophiles, can we sit back for a moment, take a look inward and ask ourselves the question: “Can we be a little bit of both?”

We’ll start with the premise that the “audiophile” is a music lover, high fidelity equipment connoisseur and generally good person. Great works have been around for centuries. We’ve seen various arrangements, variations, covers, remastering, artistic interpretations, etc. of the original work. We may enjoy the updated versions of the work with instrumentation or technology that was not available at the time. A recent topic on this forum mentioned that an enduring classical piece written for solo piano is most recognized as a full orchestral rendition -- Pictures at an Exhibition. Sometimes the “cover” is more commercially successful than the original writer/songwriter version and, in many cases, a vast improvement of the work. As much as we may welcome, or even prefer, the newer form(s) of the work, something anchors our hearts and souls to the original. We believe that it should be around forever. “Conserving” the piece as the artist intended not only supports and archives accurate music history but allows us to enjoy and fully acknowledge of the genius of who created it. The concepts of “Leave the original intact”, we might say (conserve) and “Allow others to apply their unique talents to create something special” (progressive) may actually coexist in the music world.

The equipment we’ve fondly tinkered with for decades may follow a similar trajectory. We all remember the pieces that just blew us away and began a life-long journey in pursuit of better sound. Numerous principles guiding "better sound" from the past are still relevant today, continually assessed by engineers and audiophiles worldwide. We also remember those moments when “the newest thing” failed to meet expectations. And those times when our patience paid off and those breakthrough technologies finally matured and earned a distinguished place in our audio racks – possibility pushing aside tenured and reliable pieces. “It’s time to move on” appears quite frequently on this forum and rings true for many participants. Others want to “hang on to what they got” for a variety of reasons: financial, emotional, physical, logistics, etc. Or, in their view, the gear may still be performing at its peak and can sonically compete quite well on the open market today. So, there is no strong motivation to change. Yet, there’s this desire to be “progressive”-- not marooned in an audio sense, left by themselves on an island of obsolete ideas and outdated equipment. This dichotomy reveals a synergy among active audiophiles—a desire to maintain what is familiar, competent, and operational while embracing the urge for progress. More often than not, we’ll see a hybrid of both “old school” and “cutting edge” in the same system – perhaps even inside the same chassis.

The conventional tug-of-war between conservative and progressive ideologies might not entirely encapsulate the audiophile community as it relates to music and the equipment designed to reproduce it. We are grown up enough to acknowledge both, and there is more than one “right” answer to a problem.

128x128waytoomuchstuff

Showing 2 responses by deep_333

A little disclosure here:

I am part of a number of "unite" and "depolarization" groups -- including my own. (I deal with a group I refer to as the "UFBPs" - the Unapologetic Fire-Breathing Partisans on a daily basis. Yes, on BOTH sides). My "gig" is discovering, acknowledging, and celebrating our common links and connections.

@waytoomuchstuff

The United States is perhaps one of the most politically polarized countries in the world currently. Throughout history, countries have broken apart when segments of the population become too polarized and have nothing in common anymore (a big fear of mine). Can ya get a guy from Louisiana and a guy from Massachusetts to agree on anything these days? It may have been true 30 years ago, not anymore.

The definitions of a audio conservative vs progressive flows through from what a guy’s political inclinations are in real life. His mindset translates right through...(no surprise there). Personally, i am from Missou, i.e., about as conservative as it gets around where i grew up/currently live, but, i tend to be a moderate. Look at the top technical pool in any of the national labs, technology corps, etc, they tend to be of a progressive mindset. Rarely does one see a political conservative in such circles, i.e., rarely does one see the latter writing up a dissertation in physics, engineering, etc. I am an engineering Phd who worked in such institutions for a long time before i went the entrepreneurial route. Nevertheless, It is not difficult to classify one party in this country as an "anti-education" party these days... They also think they can defund the educational institutions, keep em dumb and shine above all the competition around the world (especially in Asia) miraculously. It is the imported genius immigrant labor that’s largely holding the fort w.r.t technical excellence. I’m not sure if the local dudes in town are ever gonna step up at this rate. The conservatives in the rest of the western world don’t shun education..it’s a bizarre flippin phenomenon unique to God’s own land. It is not that hard for me to side with the progressives when i see this crap. And yes, i have a quite a few conservative friends and family members. We listen to music, have a few drinks and don’t talk about politics.

Ahem, in the context of audiophilia indeed...

Conservative: A flat earther who says "What i do not know may not exist!!". It is a very pompous arrogant position that a scientist or a higher level engineer (masters of phd and significant field experience) would never take...That audio conservative is generally not the brightest dude and tends to have a very low comprehension of science/technology. He typically sits around claiming that some garbage tech from 60, 70 years ago is the best there is and shall be "conserved". He may not even have slightest curiosity to learn or understand anything new. He may listen to the same 15 broken records for most of his life.

Progressive: Generally, a pro science/tech kinda guy who’s willing to experiment (at the least) with any new technology or advancement in science before he decides whether it caters to his tastes or not. He may be curious to explore different genres of music, discover new artists, etc.