Audiophile USB to PCM

I have an excellent upsampler and dac (dCS Purcell/Delius) and am looking for the very best USB to PCM conversion. So far, I've tried SlimDevices Squeezebox, and Xitel Pro Hi-Fi link.

Both are very good, but I was wondering if there are any other options I should be considering. Both the Sutherland USB Preamp and the Wavelength USB Dac convert to analog. I'd like something of similar quality that stops short of the digital to analog conversion so that I can let the dCS gear do that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

harry
hbrandt
Edsilva - If you open the volume control for windows using control panel, do the sliders have any effect on the audio??

Just wondering if KMIXER is bypassed.

Steve N.
I'll try it, but my recollection is that it has no effect. Think it might even be grayed out.
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you guys doing all of this and still using Windows sound drivers? Hopefully you are utilizing the ASIO USB driver and selecting it in your Foobar output preferences. Just curious.
No, I use ASIO .dll with Foobar and the Transit drivers. I upsample to 24/96 using SRC. I've tried other sample rates, including 88.2. They just dont sound as good as SRC at 24/96, particularly piano, which sounds very live.
"At the moment, what you suggest seems like the way to go: PC card outputting upsampled digital via AES/EBU, with card driven by DAC wordclock."

The problem with PC add-in cards is the PC power supply and grounding. The external box will be quieter and have lower jitter. It can also be battery powered, which improves things considerably.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer/modder