Audiophile Priorities and Recent Topics

I'm increasingly fascinated by the number of threads that have been created lately by OP's who have joined over only the last 2 months with less than 30 posts that all seem related to the importance of wires and tweaks. While I'm not dismissing the notion that everything matters in hifi (including digital cable), it seems that these topics vastly overwhelm thread topics that clearly would have more influence to hifi audio sound such as discussions of the sonic characteristics of various amplifier topologies, the importance of simplifying the signal path, and identifying fantastic speaker/amplifier synergies, etc...

If some unsuspecting newbie were to stumble onto this forum they would likely come away thinking that a fuse or a piece of wire are the most important elements towards obtaining wonderful hifi sound. This is unfortunate. For example, my discovery of listening to a SET circuit years ago paired with speakers possessing a high and flat impedance greatly outshines any joy derived from identifying the finest digital cable produced by man. I'm simply questioning the hifi priorities that this forum seems to be obsessed with lately.

Is it just me?
128x128three_easy_payments

Showing 18 responses by tomic601

perhaps the board will advise polyamory with planers, ribbons, cones, and even flaming plasma

while playing Joan of Arc.
My peer reviewed post re quantum entanglement was deleted by the mod. Now, Most people don’t think of Jack Daniels as an accomplished Quantum physicist, but in our household he is chair of the Dept.

i plan on a set of nos 6L6 sewn into the burial shroud, just in case 42+ years of chasing the dream has currency above….
all the computer stuff not in a Faraday cage belongs on a pow con connected via dedicated line to the “ dirty “ leg of your panel. Computer includes switch mode power wall warts.

tweak 101
@unrecievedogma is a gem of a dude. i had a great conversation w him the other day. Love his website and giving back thru Vinyl Sunday, a global thing….

every day is the second coming…..

reminds me of a song

Jesus save me from your followers

or

Forgive them, they know not how they exaggerate so…..
@whart a tightly woven natural fiber rug is worth 3 fuses, or one magic black or brown brick….

Floor bounce is real

Loved your story
Tweak Mini Review; VPI Magic Brick. The science of why they sometimes work… Essentially on a conventional transformer they add core material. Undersized transformers on quasi budget equipment benefit the most. Sorry Torridals don’t work that way. There is also the potential mass loading effect reducing vibration effects. i normally use them in conjunction w Stillpoints. Rollerblocks, HRS Nimbus couplers…pick your favorite…

Sonic effects are are a bit like tube rolling, depends on the component but better clarity from midbass up thru midrange can be expected. Can be found used $20 to ? DIY also possible, the sheet core from a DOA transformer potted in epoxy would be excellent.
could it be that what “ drove him away “ is your ceaseless commentary that digital isn’t music …. you might try reading the drivel you post…

Just a friendly reminder FBRC is at it’s very heart and soul…..wait for it….. digital.
well ya, I assumed it was club day..M3 vs….M3 but hey, everything matters….
The M3 analogy is pretty spot on. Even buying a well sorted race car w solid win history still leaves up the question of how to go faster the next season …. There is also a rubbish bin of stuff that didn’t work….
One key concept buried in the thread title is… priority… car, driver, crew, tow rig, tire budget… i am guessing contact enhancer ain’t on the list, unless your electrical system is Lucas, then even quantum tunneling won’t help ya….
Float grounds, priceless…just leave one..in my multi-source system, it’s the preamp. 

I have a love / hate relationship with the refrigerator - it’s on a different leg of the panel….but.

Only three houses on our transformer…..

blessed
Actually i think the frequent gear changers have no real grounded baseline. Cat chasing the tail, so to speak

How many years have you had the Lamm Bill ? i bet you know them intimately

i have  ( let me push the button ) 5,301 hours on my Ref5se with essentially 3 tweaks: HRS isolation, A Nos usa Tung Sol 60’s tube in the power supply, SAIN power cord. I do have a $71 fuse on the way…

Tweaking is just a spectrum. Way back in the Eighties, i met a writer/ reviewer for Sensible Sound. He was a contemporary to Enid Lumley. I heard his tweaked out system Dynaco pre , etc, Vandy 2, ALL connections except cartridge clips soldered, everything but amp on battery power, etc..

Enid went further…

Then i met a guy who had his own transformer at the street

As Neil sang “ long may you run “….

best to you.

Jim
My priority the remainder of the year is cull down some of the “ vintage room “ gear. Made peace with that. Gift a lot of it. Send more music to friends. Post covid pandemic, try to get a Vinyl Sunday going per @unrecieveddogma that dude is cool. Spend less time fencing with the arrogant fool child. Have some DIY projects in the design / parts selection phase with three (so far ) attenuators. Build some reclaimed wood diffusers I call them Virtue Signaling Quadratic. ….. dog sit….for dogs that are audiophiles…