Audiophile demographics?

Why are there a disproportional number of male audiophiles?
Not sure if this is a silly question, but speaking for myself, I have never met a female audiophile.
I am sure they exist, but their scarcity begs the question as to why.
Is it merely that men have more of the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality, do men love gadgets and tools or is it something more sinister?
128x128tony1954
It might have something to do with women's uncanny ability to be up and about doing this or that and still catch most of what's going on wether on the TV or the HI FI.

While we both enjoy a good video and music, getting my wife to set in one place long enough to watch a whole move or set, head in a vice, to listen to music for more than about 5 minutes - is next to impossible. 

Jim
Men and women (exceptions from the norm excepted) have different hearing. 
Men lose more of their hearing with age than women do. (I am amazed at the golden ears some of us still claim to have when we are over 40...). 
Men lose higher frequencies first, but women lose lower frequencies first. If we want to share our hobby with our female partners and friends, we need to invest a bit less in subs, and a bit more in midrange quality. 
And maybe find some music which also appeals to the middle range frequencies of hearing. Any suggestions?
It is in the DNA. Men are more inward which allows them to enjoy listening to music which typically is done without much conversation. Women are more outward and enjoy company and conversation which is not conducive to critically listening to a hifi system where you are either listening to enjoy, which is a non-talking event or to figure out which item needs to be upgraded next, which again requires quiet.

@axo0oxa -- We can do both, I assure you -- enjoy company and conversation and also listen quietly.
Theo714:  Thank you!  I had hoped to find that there are female audiophiles.
Girly music?  Well0 I am prejudices but try to improve my outlook, deaspite being somewhat allergic to females.  I am happy to discover an actual lady audiophile.
Aha!  Some interesting responses, and prejudices, are afoot.  Has anyone thought that guys start being able to afford toys at an earlier age, possibly because we can earn more money through better paying summer jobs than girls, or at least could way back in our youth?\  Also, guys need an excuse to invite anyone over. Girls have things built in for this.
More to discover