Audiophile demographics?

Why are there a disproportional number of male audiophiles?
Not sure if this is a silly question, but speaking for myself, I have never met a female audiophile.
I am sure they exist, but their scarcity begs the question as to why.
Is it merely that men have more of the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality, do men love gadgets and tools or is it something more sinister?
128x128tony1954

Showing 7 responses by gg987

Have you seen some of the sound rooms, they scream nerd bachelor. Speakers in the middle of the room. Monoblocks on the floor, cables everywhere.
Think about the speakers. Some are attractive and inconspicuous, many are room dominant with crazy colours ( Kanta!), shapes or bases.
Music is meant to be shared.
Hardly suits a solo listening chair laser located.
Function over form.
Does that partly explain the male dominated audiophile world. Maybe we males get sucked into the chase, aspiring to the next level.
Why are we never content?
Some thoughts.

My system. Can you tell it was designed by a female? LOL

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7784
does 987 signify first gen cayman??? hope so :)

I have driven a cayman at the Porsche Sport Driving School in Birmingham. I know, I'm weird for a girl. But actually for about 15 years I drove 911 convertibles. Stick shift, of course, it's the only way. Driving that car with an automatic transmission is just wrong. You're missing all the fun!
Sorry to digress....
I'm a female audiophile. And a female MD, when there weren't so many. I also like fast cars and fast lenses. And men. Imagine that!
@millercarbon 

I've always loved cars. When I was sixteen I wanted my first car to be a racing green MGB. It was a silver Chevy Vega. But it had an engine and 4 wheels, so no complaints. In my twenties, my ex-husband taught me to drive a stick because they got better mileage. It was a Honda Civic, but I was hooked on driving a manual transmission. In the 911, I used to see if I could drive Mulholland from one end to the other in second and never touch the brake. You either feel it or you don't..
@gg987
Glad to virtually meet you.
I certainly don't want to treat you like some sort of oddity, but it would be fair so say that you are in the minority.
If you don't mind, could you answer a couple of questions.
How did you become interested in audio?
Why do you think that more women aren't audiophiles?
I have been interested in audio for as long as I can remember. When I was a young teenager, I didn't listen to the music of my generation. I listed to Sinatra and Ella and Broadway etc. We had a cassette recorder and I tried to record TV musical shows I liked (Sinatra specials and others) but the quality with the mike that came with the player was awful. So I took the back off the TV and connected alligator clips to the speaker terminals. Quality of the recording was much improved! I guess I'd read it somewhere. I mostly remember my mother telling me I was going to electrocute myself. I did unplug the TV before I removed the back.

I've always been fascinated by the qualities of sound reproduction, and I love music. And I always like to learn something new.

I think women have traditionally not been audiophiles because they had no one to show them the way and excite them about it. I pretty much blazed my own way. My daughters are both very bright and accomplished in their careers, but were never interested in anything technical, which I think you have to be to be an audiophile. They just liked it when things worked, and they knew I could get it to work. 
Much of this discussion is thought provoking and revealing about the authors. What some posts do provide is a look backwards to say, the 1950’s. Certain comments, especially those about wives afraid to mess with the gear controls, caused me to cringe. Were they shown how to use them? Were they uninterested or afraid to learn? Or were they warned not to go there?It shows how far we haven’t come. And sadly, many women still seem to be afraid to push boundaries and venture where no woman has gone before.