Audiolab 8000Q preamp?

Has anyone come across this preamp? I have actually heard it partnered with tube VTL power amp at my friend's studio and it sound surprisingly good. The mid is rich, bass is tight, highs are beautiful.

I always think the right combination should be tube pre + SS power. However, I was surprised that SS pre + Tube power can perform so well.
Can any one explain why?
mark
Audiolab was a highly respected british manufacturer, I would say more highly regarded than Quad in England. They were bought out by TagHeuer, so you don't see the name anymore. Audiolab equipment is renowned for being neutral and accurate. It's not to everyone's tastes, but it might explain why it works well in a system with valves elsewhere in the signal path.
Used audiolab equipment is tremendous value in the US due to its obscurity.
Audiolab (first name) later changed its name in Camtech (at least for European countries) and then later int Concept (murphy's law). Then they were taken over and nowadays the gear is sold under the Mclaren brand.

I used Audiolab gear for many years with great pleasure. It seems that they make little real mistakes so one can continue to enjoy even while upgrading the rest of the system. As a matter of fact, I just bought an Audiolab integrated (8000A) for my bedroom system.

Greetz,
Nanning
I purchased a used Audiolab 8000Q pre-amp about three months ago for $450 at a store that sells both new and used items. I am very pleased at the smoothness of the sound. It did not have an owners manual with it and I am in the dark about the product. Does this company produce durable products? The salesman told me to keep the audiolab turned on all the time even when not listening playing music. I am. Is this the correct proceedure for a pre amp of this type?
Audiolab no longer exists, having been acquired by Tag MacLaren a few years ago. Audiolab products, however, have a great reputation for durability. I have an 8000A integrated which was manufactured in 1986 that I bought second hand in 1990 and has been turned on 24 hours a day since then with the exception of storms and holidays. I had to re-cap the phono stage last year, but, with the exception of the odd volume control cleaning, that has been it for an amp that still sounds excellent. Your 8000Q was probably not manufactured unitl at least 1994, so you are probably in very good shape for quite some time. I would agree with your salesman that you should leave it turned on all the time.