Audiogon Anti-Lowball Offer setting

Hey everyone,

I don’t know if you all saw this but I got an e-mail from A’gon stating they have a new feature in place to hinder insane lowball offers.

After you log in go to your Account and select Edit Account. Then scroll down in the Policies section there is a check box to automatically reject lowball offers.

Policies

Lowball offers

Automatically reject offers below 55% of your asking price,

I wish this could be user specific. I would have set this to 45% off of listing price for my tastes but it is a start for Audiogon.

Thanks
128x128jedinite24

Showing 2 responses by ejr1953

In my experience, most of the low-ball offers come from people who message you thru Audiogon, not those who make a formal offer on the site.

This reminds me when I had a McIntosh receiver for sale and a very nervous-sounding guy from Ohio went back and forth on Audiogon's messaging with me about issue after issue (will my rack accommodate?  will you drive and meet me half way? will you accept $$$? etc.)  After a few days of this, a nice young man from Texas made a formal offer, I made a counter offer and the deal was done.  When the guy from Ohio saw the unit had sold, he criticized me for selling the unit "out from under him".
I don't blame people for trying to see if they can get a better price on used equipment, but some of the games people play are just a waste of time.

I will not agree to any pricing via email, will insist the potential buyer make a formal offer thru the site.  I had a guy go back and forth on Audiogon's messaging, eventually we spoke by phone and agreed on a price and a day/time for him to drive up to my house to pick the unit up.  When he arrived, he said that, during the drive he decided he'd pay $600 less than we agreed on for the item.  After I told him I wouldn't sell to him, he had the audacity to ask to see the unit.