Audioengine speakers

Anyone own/heard the Audioengine A2 powered speakers. Please comment on application and sound quality. Thank you.
celtic66
I was curious because of all the reviews, so for $200 with free shipping and 30 day return policy, what have I got to lose? The speaker came last week, hook it up to my Slim device connected to Audio Mirror DAC-1. BIG SMILE ON MY FACE!!! I'M KEEPING IT PERIOD!
I did the same thing. I feel the mid-range depression noted in JA's measurements is pretty noticeable and somewhat unfortunate, but the sound otherwise is quite nice, very nice even. Also, treble rolloff in the vertical axis means you may not want to just plop them on the desk and leave it at that. But talk about listening all day without fatigue! And the packaging, documentation, fit and finish -- all of that is great at a level that puts most of the high end to shame, and at $200. I may try the 5's just to see how much better, if at all.

Anyone seen good sale prices for the "Audioengine 5" (white finish)?

Great reviews for their application!
Strengths: Very clear, very punchy, surprising bass for it's size, reasonably extended highs. The look is FANTASTIC.

Weakness: To my ear it sounds congested and not very pleasant. To be fair, I have always been a TUBE guy and I value nuance and relaxed sound.

Bottom Line: This is built to particular sonic taste. I think that some will love it, and some will find it unacceptable. I think that people who generally find they prefer tube gear over transistor are the type that will not be able to live with this.

Not all transistor gear is unacceptable to me, not by a long shot. I LOVE the sound of my Monitor Audio iDeck - also stereo, separate speakers, not nearly as cool looking as the A2, but it sounds NATURAL. Not quite as clear as the A2, nowhere near as punchy as the A2, probably lacking in bass compared to the A2, but it just has a natural sound that grabs me.

So the A2 is VERY worth trying out. 30 day money back guarentee, if you are one of the lucky ones that LOVE it, then I envy you.