Audio Science Review = "The better the measurement, the better the sound" philosophy

"Audiophiles are Snobs"  Youtube features an idiot!  He states, with no equivocation,  that $5,000 and $10,000 speakers sound equally good and a $500 and $5,000 integrated amp sound equally good.  He is either deaf or a liar or both! 

There is a site filled with posters like him called Audio Science Review.  If a reasonable person posts, they immediately tear him down, using selected words and/or sentences from the reasonable poster as100% proof that the audiophile is dumb and stupid with his money. They also occasionally state that the high end audio equipment/cable/tweak sellers are criminals who commit fraud on the public.  They often state that if something scientifically measures better, then it sounds better.   They give no credence to unmeasurable sound factors like PRAT and Ambiance.   Some of the posters music choices range from rap to hip hop and anything pop oriented created in the past from 1995.  

Have any of audiogon (or any other reasonable audio forum site) posters encountered this horrible group of miscreants?  

fleschler

@amir_asr

Our aim is the same as yours. We want maximum enjoyment out of our music and want to optimize our gear to get there

Then right in this thread you also said:

We are not a charity

However, I am OK with you coming over here to spam us then, OK. So, you made a wise decision to at least to focus on maximum enjoyment of music. First, the actual enjoyment part it is ALL subjective so leave your fantasies at home. We deal in BOTH things you can measure like sinad and things you can’t measure so clearly like jamming or rocking out, bliss, chilling, whatever.

I saw the pic of your system, nice speakers, good. So, if you want maximum enjoyment of music try:

1) Having a drink

2) Asking members here about their EXPERIENCE (I know, you can’t always measure that but with practice, it works, trust me)

3) Please realize we actually DO want the same thing, it isn’t a fantasy. You can also measure some things that are purely subjective. If you start a thread at YOUR site maybe we can discuss sometime OK? If you want to start a thread here I am good with that too.

Peace, out :)

I am disappointed you are insisting I do this. Do you truly believe you have not been making derogatory comments?  I am not the only person who will see these following comments as derogatory.

Yup. Those type of comments are par for the course here as it's taken for what it sincerely is: adult banter. The problem with acolytes like yourself is that you need to get out more often and grow a thicker skin. 

All the best,
Nonoise

@tonywinga Exactly.  

This is my primary issue with ASR.  Aside from going to war with some very reputable equipment makers, people who are directly accountable vs. a faceless brand of high-end gear and Amir and his minions claim a wide variety of skills and capabilities but literally don't know what they're measuring, how they're measuring it / how to use the tools they have and what their measurements actually mean.

My favorite is that Amir only needed one speaker to test and supposedly in his anechoic chamber.  Then proclaiming that the speaker was worthless based on the measurements - without even listening to it, properly placed in a room, with controls, etc.  Or when he talked about speaker frequency response curves and claimed that his measurement of another speaker was superior because the  manufacturer used a different scale on the response graph.  Of course, he didn't know what he was actually measuring and what the measurement actually meant, and looked like a complete fool while taking himself completely seriously.

Normally I don't really care about that stuff as I know what I know, but when it impacts the 'little guy' who's just trying to make a living selling legitimate gear (I'm not talking about pure snake oil here, I'm talking about people who have a legitimate product who are attacked by Amir / ASR with inaccurate information.) I do take issue with it.  

All I want to point out is that you say folks on this site are biased because they see the price and hence expectations increase.

Terrible of them, I know.  Why let them have common sense and expect more performance when you pay more?  It is audio after all.  We should make new rules for that expenditure.  I pay for a supercharger option for a car.  Company delivers it and it reduces horsepower.  I should be OK with that according to that rule....

Regardless, I have no issue with recommending ultra expensive gear: they just need to have the performance that is comparable to devices at 1/10th their cost.  If they don't, then I will comment and withhold my recommendation.

"And I say that you are also biased because you see the measurements and then listen."

Ah, you want me to be uninformed when I do my listening tests.  As if not seeing the measurements somehow eliminate bias?  Seeing the gear, etc. is not a concern of yours but accurate measurements are?  Instead of typing, here is a video I produced on this very topic: