Audio Research VT100 MKll Stays on

Was hoping somebody here might be able to help me I have a Audio Research VT100 MKll that stays on and wont turn off I have it plugged into one of the switched outlets on my power conditioner and I'm just turning it on and off that way but I've replaced the switch twice which both times worked for a while and then the same thing I removed the switch completely and plugged it in and sure enough it came on even without the switch I don't see anything obviously wrong with it so was hoping somebody with some technical experience might be able to tell me what to check
Thank You
terrybbagit

Showing 2 responses by lewm

Terry, You wrote, "I have it plugged into one of the switched outlets on my power conditioner and I'm just turning it on and off that way but I've replaced the switch twice which both times worked for a while and then the same thing"...

At first I thought you meant to say that you had replaced the switch on the power conditioner, twice, but now reading your other posts, I am thinking you've replaced the switch on your VT100, twice. Which is it? If it's the power conditioner switch that keeps failing, then it is likely that your VT100 draws too much current at turn-on and blows the PC switch. This could mean that the VT100 has no real problem; the PC switch needs to be one with a higher power rating. If it's the VT100 switch that keeps failing, then there is probably some issue within the VT100 such that it draws more than normal current at turn-on, which stressses and finally blows its switch. Simple.
In the latter case, the problem is to identify the cause within the VT100; send it back to ARC. (All tube gear will draw an excess of current at turn-on, while the tubes are heating up and the impedance of the circuit comes up from zero to normal. Many tube amplifiers use a "current inrush limiter" placed on the primary side of the power transformer to ameliorate this problem. Your problem may merely be that the CL in your VT100 is defective. Have you blown any fuses?)
I hope the grammarians have not frightened off the OP. Would like to know more about his problem or at least the answers to my questions. His English is actually just fine, although lacking in punctuation, as someone else remarked.