Audio Research reference amplifiers used with RCA IC`s and unbalanced preamplifiers

I am considering purchasing used audio research reference amplifiers either 150se or 75 SE. My question is this

As these amplifiers are fully balanced and don't have an RCA input, can I use RCA interconnects with a conversion plug from RCA to balanced at the amplifier input and will it work in my system?

I don't have any balanced interconnects and don't want to go through the extra expense. Only one of my three preamplifiers has an XLR output and there's nothing indicating the preamplifier is fully balanced.

I find this balanced/ unbalanced criteria confusing.

nsp

I pulled out my sound meter right after my last post. I think the average was 66db  with peaks to 71db. It was at a completely satisfying level. I found the better my system got the less the need was for volume. 

I did the same.  My listening levels average 80 db with peaks in the low 90's.  It's tough getting old.

ghdprentice

I do listen to some music in the 65 to 75 db range and it sounds very good. it's dependent on the recording. Agreed  the better mysystem has beccome the need for less volume.

oldrooney

I too tend to turn up some music slightly as I find there is a "sweet spot" where the music opens up and is dependent upon the track and music. As you say it needs a little"oomph"  to get it to sound good.