Audio Research Ref 110

I have 88 hours on my new Ref 110 and it sounds v shrill, with a somewhat thin midrange. I have heard that this unit takes 300 hours to break in. Will this shrillness go away as part of the break in process?
gpgr4blu

Showing 4 responses by gpgr4blu

For sake of clarity, this problem does not manifest itself on well recorded cds or vinyl, but on average and below average quality recordings and on some sacds. Thus, I suspect junk in- junk out. That said, what will break in bring?
While I appreciate that everything is system dependent, my question is, for those of you who have broken in the REF series amps, is this characteristic inherent in the break in process?
Thanks guys. The only reason I hesitate to list all components is that over the years in this hobby, I believe I know the character of each component I own and how placement of everything (all on isolation devices), cables- pcs (Shunyata) ics (Stealth Indra), etc. impact the sound. Since I have tested many items and changed the system over the years a number of times--all to work the synergies to my liking, I do not want to run a long thread in which I get numerous suggestions (try this cable, that isolation device, move the speakers)--all of which have been done too numerous times to mention prior to getting this amp and a few times after. So, with that in mind, I wanted to know if this trait was part of the break in process so I don't go crazy making adjustments and then find that the amp will become more relaxed and less shrill on these items over time causing me to readjust. As this is the only change in my system in the past year and I have had other amps that did not exhibit these traits including most recently the McIntosh MC2102 (which is smoother and rounder but less neutral and transparent than the REF 110), the first question is-did my past amps mask some thinness in the average cd and badly recorded records that the REF 110 reveals such that I am now hearing it. I believe this to be the case. Now as for the new found issue, will this character be somewhat ameliorated by the mere passage of time with the REF 110? I believe from Mickey sg' response that I must wait about 300 hours to pass judgment. Rest assured if the problem does not go away, I will be back with hat in hand and an examination of other components and synergies will ensue. Are there other ARC amp owners who agree with Mickey sg' s opinion?

As a follow up to anyone reading this thread--after 400 hours on the Ref 110 and 100 hours on a Ref 5 pre, I can only say that these components have broken in beautifully. So much so, that I am now amused by my original post. Transparent, neutral, liquid, dimensional, etc. What remarkable pieces of equipment. Shrillness that was present during break-in has completely vanished. Not as chunky/ palpable as a traditional tube sound, but wow! A true paragon of macro and microdynamics. Tradeoff is not the word. Might try Ref 210s to drive Watt Puppy 7s---not that the 110s are deficient, but more power (current) down below might provide more slam there. They say the Ref 5 can use a few hundred hours of break-in before it is performing to full capability. If that's true, I will be even more thrilled than I am now.