Audio Research Ref 110 vs. ARC HD220

Has anyone heard these two amps side by side. I am familiar with technical/theoretical differences, but I have yet to hear them in a way where I could compare. I know the 110 is all tubes vs the hybrid design of the HD220. I have an LS26 and a CD3 MkII already. I currently own Vandersteen 3a sigs and am strongly considering the Vandersteen quatros. Given my equipment what are your thoughts about those two amps. I am concerned about the 110's out capabilities since I occasionally like to listen at loud volume levels. Both speakers are in essentially the same price range so price is of little issue. I have yet to see/read a review of the 220 and I know the 110 has been enthusiastically acclaimed.
Thanks for your input.
128x128jhconnor

Showing 2 responses by elberoth2

It all depends on the size of your room and the efficiency of your speakers. In my 14x19 room, with Wilson Audio Sophia 2 speakers that are 86dB efficient, I have had absolutely no problems to rise the volume on my Ref 110 to the head banging levels.
To my ears, Ref 110 excells at microdynamics, purity of tone, Resolution, HF extension and air, soundstage depth and image bloom and musiacal flow. HD220 has more bass slam and articulation + better macrodynamics.