Audio Research Ref 10 vs 40th Anniversary preamp

I was wondering what the difference in the sound between the Ref 10 and the 40th ? Not much wrote about that. I btw have the Ref 6 but never heard the 10 or the 40th. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

Showing 6 responses by tomic601

i am still running my 5se, 5 k happy listening hours later…..put HRS Nimbus couplers under….

lovely….
All the mention ARC preamps track tube hours, I keep a log when as advised I roll in replacement, the the NOS Tung Sol 6550 as recommended by Andy at Vintage tube in Michigan is a spectacular upgrade to the 5se at least in my system.

Randy at Optimal is just a gem, give him a call.
@folkfreak what new speakers ? I have heard the VTL sing with Vandersteen 7 in San Diego
fun thread, I have spent a considerable amount of listening time and every now and the. $ with Randy at Optimal. He is always in top echelon of ARC dealers in USA.

I have a REF5se up on Ayre blocks with a NOS Tungsol coke bottle 6550..... yowsa....

when I eventually get the wandering ear the VTL, VAC, et al will be on my list for sure, along w current ARc offerings...who knows, maybe Vandersteen will debut the long rumored preamp to match his wonderful high pass amplifiers...

fun !!!