Audio Research GS150 Musings

Good day my fellow ARC Agaricus Bisporus.

In light of the relative ambivalence that seems to have descended upon ARC's latest, and Should we to believe the "word' on the street, greatest stereo amplifier, I thought that I would initiate this thread for the most part as a vehicle whereby any early adopters of this particular model might comment upon their considerations of the amplifier thus far, and hopefully utilize the same, as a place where they may log their considerations as they journey through the Roller Coaster ride that is ARC break in.

I hope that I will be excused for the somewhat laxidaisic cut n pasting that follows, however I plead the 'Humungous Hangover' defence!

" For my part I have listened to the same GS150 at 60 hours, then with 166 hours on the clock, and whilst there were signs of an opening up in the midrange, I felt the amplifier to to be rather 'Tight', and still a Tad constrained in some areas of tonality, texture and harmonics, particularly on acoustic strings.

Whilst considering comment made thus far in respect of the KT150, I was expecting to be impressed with the lower registers, even at this point in what can be something of a roller coaster ride where break in of ARC is concerned, however this particular GS is still quite some way off, in reproducing the gravitas evident in for example, Der Ring des Nibelungen, as imparted by my Ref150 even at 300 hours on the clock.

However! Even at this early juncture, It is in the upper mid-range, ascending, where the GS has ,for me, impressed the most. The retrieval of filagre micro detail is quite excellent, the GS seeming to impart additional 'air' and light with an effortless extension to the very upper registers. Smooth, clean and accurate, whilst remaining quite organic and utterly convincing in nature.

Jasper."
tsushima1

Showing 1 response by fsonicsmith

"So is the GS150 really just a
REF150 with new looks? �As with
many designs from Audio Research,
the GS150 is an evolutionary step
from the REF150�, explained
Warren. �For while the two amplifiers
share many common aspects, **there
have been numerous parts and
layout changes which affect the
sound.**"

The question that I BELIEVE up until has not been answered definitively is whether there is any difference between the Ref150SE and the GS150 other than the latter's fancier case/meters. One poster in another thread suggested based upon a magazine review that the GS150 "blows the Ref 150 out of the water" (which I doubt) but what about the GS150 vs. the Ref150SE? Does the extra money buy a better circuit layout or parts inside? So as a registered ARC owner, I just emailed ARC that exact question last evening and just got this response;  "they are sonically the same." If you watch Mike Fremers two videos on Youtube of the ARC factory tour, there's a short section/exchange in which Warren Gehl says he uses the Ref150SE as his benchmark for subjective listening checks on all outgoing amps (unless I misunderstood the exchange and video).That explains that. I love the looks of the GS150-more than the staid looks of the Ref150SE. But is it worth the extra dough for the bling? Is ARC's Italian ownership going a bit over the line in making ARC gear resemble the stablemate McIntosh kit without the McIntosh blue meters? I have to wonder but again, I would take the beautiful GS150 any day of the week and Sunday too if they were close in price. I am biased-I just bought a dealer demo Ref150SE to go along with a brand new Ref 6 to replace a 25 year old tubed preamp and a 12 year old VS110. I'm happy but poorer! I have a fluke meter for my VS110 so I'm set in that respect.