Audio Research D240 mkll vs Adcom GFA-555

Hey Folks, I currently have a modified Adcom GFA-555 but have the opportunity to purchase an Audio Research D240mkll. Will there be a significant increase in sound quality? Speakers are Sonus faber Chameleon B's and source is Tidal through a Project Pre Box S2 Digital (as preamp).
128x128ratboysr

Showing 2 responses by clearthink

noble100"All of these newer class D amps outperform all of the large, heavy class AB amps I’ve previously used"

You must have employed the use of some really mid-fi or mass market class AB amplifiers in your Music Reproduction System if that was the result and consequence you experienced when substituting Class D amplifiers for them in you're system but the important thing is that you made some real, genuine, audible improvements and I can only suggest, recommend, and encourage you to audition some superior amplifiers within the same Music Reproduction System such as properly designed, specified, manufactured and installed Class A amplifiers. Good luck to you there is more out there don't stop now!

noble100
"
 I've used 3 high current class AB amps in my system thus far, an Adcom, McCormack and an Aragon. I believe most members would consider all 3 of theses as at least good quality class AB amps with the possible exception of the unmodified Adcom being considered mid-fi and mass market."

Those are not only mass market midfi amplifiers they are so old as to be nearly laughable they would likely need substantial service and parts replacements because of the age of the components contained there in.