Audio Racks, Just How beneficial? looking for guidance in upgrading

Greetings all. Looking for guidance and your experience in racks & shelves for the ’sweet spot’ and upgrading. Do you find that applying a percentage of your total system’s value of perhaps 5% or even 10% is a good metric? Do you folks find that some of the leading Audio Rack companies, like HRS, CMS for ex., which seem great but is it beneficial to warrant spending well over $15k , $10k + or $5K on vibration isolation for a mid level system. Racks are really hard to demo; I’m reaching out to Audiogon community.

I’m trying to get my arms around some of the price points and the cost/benefits.
Anyone find wood is sonically better?
Doesn’t seem to be that much between A/V furniture manufactures and the better companies. Prefer a Modular approach like Bassoconuinuo- (anyone have it? I haven’t priced it yet.) or adjustable shelves. (not that keen on Solid Steel).
I need 6 shelves including top for turntable.
Currently have a BDI with glass shelves; using still points, or BDR cones, maple butcher blocks. Yes, I know the glass shelves...have to go.
Thanks!

blue_strat

Showing 6 responses by tomic601

@mitch2 Thanks for the post. I had a great conversation w Patrick at SmC. It is indeed brass and in some applications a more elaborate sandwich, possibly including Panzer, Carbon Fiber, Stainless, as well as something proprietary…..

:-) 

@pindac the SmC Gravity base appears to be a constrained layer sandwich of Copper and Panzerholtz…. DIY is commencing… As an aside…. Panzer isn’t $… but it’s not $$$$…. unless…

To the poster who mentioned Box, also an excellent rack. 

One must always keep in mind that the OP may have started the conversation, community knowledge is more important…..

@mgattmch Trading Friday texts w Arnold as he was off to deliver your rack i surmise. I looked at your Gale system photos…. lovely and as you can HEAR the build in isolation and mass loading make a sonic difference ;-) I sold Gale in the early to mid 80’s…. they always sounded good…

Have big musical fun

Jim

You can see Arnolds custom work on my Casa Pacifica virtual system page…

You might be shocked at how affordable the Core racks are. …and of course you can still take the approach of adding isolation to each shelf as i do w Nimbus and Vortex HRS products under sensitive tube gear… it’s ALL about a super low deep dark noise floor….

:-)

Arnold at Core Audio Designs in Novato is a true artisan and his racks include innovative isolation and custom woods at IMO very reasonable $.

HRS for all out assault w metal finishes and more $$$$

I am a very happy customer of both.