Atma-Sphere Class D… Amazing

Today I picked up my Atma-Sphere Class D Amps. These aren’t broken in yet. And they are simply amazing. I’ve listen to a lot of High End Class D. Some that cost many times what Atma-Sphere Class D costs. I wasn’t a fan of any of them. But these amps are amazing. I really expected to hate them. So my expectations were low. The Details are of what I’ve never heard from any other amps. They are extremely neutral. To say the realism is is extremely good is a gross understatement. They are so transparent it’s scary. These amps just grab you and suck you into the music. After I live with them some and get them broken in. And do some comparisons to some other high end Amps Solid State, Tubes and Class D’s, also in other systems I’ll do a more comprehensive review. But for now, these are simply amazing amps.. Congrats to Ralph and his team. You guys nailed on these.

128x128pstores

Right, like my bedroom light switches were designed for my bedroom light. Much different than my dining room light switch.

A transistor is simply a switch. It can also amplify a signal. It can be used in the design of an amplifier, but nothing can make it designed specifically for audio. It is simply the switching and amplification properties can be adjusted to fit the circuit that is being designed. All amp that use GANFET (Gallium Nitride field-effect transistors) use a GANFET designed for audio. The audio equipment it is in.

@docroasty - curious to know if you ever did connect your SLP-05 to the Class d monos, and if so, whether you could share your impressions? Are they the standard or the ultimate upgrade version?

Thanks!

@srama

yes, I did. I got the ultimate upgrade. fed from a wavedream net and dac stack. hooked up to the Atma-Sphere monos using TWL Spirit ii xlr. I really like this combination. I'm using it with headphones though (abyss TC Phi). the overall gain is a bit high but there are gain controls on the cary, and I reduce the output volume at the dac too.

lovely sound imo. great low end, lush mids, and sweet highs. I have no intention of changing out the cary pre. although somewhat annoyed at the black gloss finish as it does collect microscratches even when using a microfiber cloth to wipe it down. also, the blue light led on the power section failed, but my local dealer got it fixed really fast. 

@docroasty

Thank you, that's good to know. Weird, about the power meter led - it seems to be quite common, although I read somewhere that Carey did fix the issue back in 2018 or thereabouts.

Does the quote above suggest Alberto (AGD) is misleading in his saying his GANFET is made for audio?

No- not in my opinion. IMO it suggests he had a batch made that have low output capacitance. Low output capacitance reduces ringing in the output section (which is also caused by circuit board trace inductances and power supply issues- they can be in parallel with the output capacitance of the device which results in ringing and noise) as it switches and thus helps the devices to run cooler. The ringing can be controlled by a snubber filter but the output devices will still run hotter. So a low output capacitance is desirable.

In practice we found no need for a snubber circuit as there was no detectable ringing. IMO GaNFETs allow for lower noise designs. I think this is very important as switching noise and parasitics can mess with digital equipment even it the amp meets EU emissions directives. So you want to be many dB below the maximum allowed by most government entities. We found that many tube amplifiers radiate more noise than our class D.