At a given price point, better to go late vintage or modern?

This would be for a vacation house. The main listening area in the vacation house.  I set a budget for under $2,000 for a pair of speakers and was thinking I was going to purchase either some dahlquists, Thiels or vandersteens.  What I've discovered shopping locally is that a pair of Thiel 3.6's and a golden ear Triton model 2 are essentially the same price somewhere in the mid teens.

As a reference point my main home system has ar9 speakers while the smaller home theater room has the Andrew Jones pioneer home theater set. The Andrew Jones Pioneers amaze me but then again they are a 30-year newer design. 

Is it folly for me to think that the Thielss can compete with the newer goldenears?

Thanks

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xchester_bunger

Showing 3 responses by tomic601

Here is link to my vintage toybox ( third system ).. There are 1ci in there, ESL63, Apogee Stage, Cornwall, Theil 2.3, …etc… 

I forgot to add congrats on the vacation home ! it’s an interesting first world problem maintaining great systems both locales, especially 1,200 miles apart. The Hafler 220 works great w Vandy. I would venture to say the 2’s left most dealerships with a DH 200/220, a PSE, Amber , B and K, Apt Holman, Audionics of Oregon or similar 100 isg WPC SS amp. i worked at a Vandy dealer back in the day.  Best to you on your musical journey, enjoy tge getaway in excellent health !

Jim

Vandersteen 1ci new w stands, still in production at your budget. Easy to drive 2 way that plays pretty low. I am prevoius Thiel owner, much more demanding to drive speaker but design principles and build quality excellent. We have Vandersteen Treo in out getaway place, 7’s at home..count me as biased.

Jim