Are you Guys Rich or What!?

I have an old system, nothing special, Adcom, Vandersteens etc and I recently set foot for the first time in a "high end" shop, hoping to get to the next level of audio nirvana. When I saw some of the prices for monoblock amplifiers, cables, the latest speakers etc, I practically fell off my chair when I realized that I could blow $50-100K pretty easily on this stuff. I am not rich. Do you big budget system guys all work on Wall Street or something or do you eat macaroni and cheese most nights to put a few bucks away for CDs and your next upgrade?
thomashalliburton5534
I have a $50-$60,000 system that I bought over the years ALL on Audiogon for about $10,000. It's the only way to go. Never had any problem either (knock on wood). Any other way I could not have afforded it. I know it sounds like a commercial but... ( & by the way I am a stock broker too)
Have fun.
It's the price of some cables and tweaks that make me almost agree with outsiders that this is a rediculous hobby.I think a new syatem of $5K given what can be gotten sound wise is all that somebody need to pay.I have been very patient and lucky and have built a system from used components that has an MSRP of $15 for 1/3 of that.Hey maybe it all is mrally repugnant ina completely altruistic world of mother Teresa's and Albert Schweitzers (spelling???) but it ain't.But given my income I have a syatem for this being my primary hobby that if I were majing $150 a year I might have a $100K system.But if I fantisize about it then I think of building a better rooom and it is foolish to think what if.My priority could change drastivclly.But you know what?I like the people who are in this hobby.Passionate about the senses and the sensual and have an asthetic sense which is interesting.Be very interesting though prpbably disrupting to find out what folks political inclinations are.
Mvwine you are my hero. I have to walk at least 20 feet to get to my wine rack. If only they could make a audiophile quality CD player that also dispensed wine I would be in Audio heaven.
lol, reminds me of when I was in college (with no money, of course) yet was able to amass a true audiophile system for the times consisting of:

Thorens T-160C w/stanton 681EEE
AR3a's
various tube amps
Citation Reciver (man, i wish i still had this!)

took awhile, and i REALLY searched, but it wasn't very expensive. (Later, when i got a bit of money, my system was appropriately expensive, lmao).
Boy I could easily spend 100K for a dual use system, and as far as "status" one friend has been over to see my humble gear in almost 2 yrs. I feel no need to show it off, and actually fear it being stolen by someone who either stole it or told someone else about my system...so as for me, I could spend it if I had it, but nobody but you guys would know!
P.S. to qualify why I dont have more company, I am disabled and moved to a new town, so thats a big part of it