Are You a Swifty?

I am. I think she's great.

And You?

128x128jjbeason14

@tylermunns

Count me as a fan of the vast majority of your posts in this forum, but I’m afraid this isn’t one of them. Taylor Swift’s songs about the vicissitudes of young love are at least as interesting--to cite a random example--as Fleetwood Mac’s, and many of her tunes are nearly as catchy.

The popularity of any given music is certainly not proof of its artistic merit, but neither is it proof of the lack of it. Swift writes catchy tunes that resonate with her target audience--which isn’t you or me, though on her better songs it’s not that hard to remember when.

My daughter finally got me to give her a try last summer, and I was surprised by how quickly my reflexive resistance to her music was worn down with repeated exposure to it. Before long, I found myself wanting to hear this song or that.

Sure, it can get a little syrupy in places. Young love and heartache can do that to a person, however talented and well-meaning. I’ll probably make a best-of when I have more free time this summer and enjoy the hell out of it.

@waltersalas  That’s cool.  
I just disagree with you on ol’ Taylor.
Maybe at some point I’ll feel differently.  
Maybe not.

@tylermunns 

It really helps if you have a relentless teenage daughter begging you to give it a try. In this case, I'm glad she prevailed. In other cases, not so much. I don't guess I'll ever love Imagine Dragons the way I should. 

Be well.

Post removed 

@waltersalas 

"The popularity of any given music is certainly not proof of its artistic merit, but neither is it proof of the lack of it. "

Well stated.  +1

More to discover