Are New Sony SCD XA5400es Players Still Available?

Hello to all,

I am considering purchasing a new Sony SCD XA5400es. I am finding some rather odd information on the Internet and Audiogon. I am seeing Audiogoners saying the player is out of production and I am seeing others selling new players below the normal retail price of $1500. I also found a price on eCost.com that is for just under $900.

Does anyone know if there are “knock-of “ players in the market people may be selling or are the players actually available at these good prices?

Thanks for any feedback.
okimike23

Showing 2 responses by rfogel8

Let's see, the Sony retails for approx. $1500, the DV-50 retailed for $5500. Duh, I guess it should sound better!
If a used DV-50 for $1500 sounds great in your system, I'm happy for you, but.... I too owned a used one back around 2005 and to my ears(and JWM's) it did sound dry, lean and analytical. When things got busy, the sound got hard and edgy. After a month or so, it ended up on the 'Gon.

After that, I sprung for a maxed out APL Denon 3910 with the AKM dacs. Big improvement but it still sounded like good digital.

These days I'm living with the Modwright/Sony 5400 and couldn't be happier; so much so, I'm about to pick up a spare laser assembly JIC. It's far and away, the best digital I've heard but it doesn't really sound like digital, other than no surface noise, tics or pops.