Are most recordings so bad it's not worth spending large on speakers?

In my interest in finding a speaker with a more lifelike sounding speaker than most monopole - e.g. (bipole, dipole, omnis) I emailed Morrison at Morrison Audio about his omni speakers, which for full range are around $14k. I explained I use my speakers with my TV, and to listen to folk, jazz, blues, some rock.

His response re my music choices, was, "The recordings are dreadful in terms of a lifelike reproduction. You needn’t spend so much on speakers. A monopole pattern is just fine since that is what the recordings are tailored for."

Comments?

cdc2
I have questioned the original statement on and off for many years. There is no doubt that there is a ton of poorly recorded music out there. I wouldn't think that anyone would disagree with that. However, there is also a lot of very good to excellently recorded music as well. 
An example of what I think is poorly recorded and yet consists of great music......are the recordings of Adele ( a huge shame, IMHO). For some reason, her LP's sound like...c...p.Yet, there is no doubt that she has some great music. The question is do you want to listen to Adele on the BIG rig...I think not, which is a pity. BUT, if you own the BIG rig, then listening to Adele is going to allow you to hear these LP's in the best possible light....and maybe that is good enough...No?
There are sooooo many variables involved in the home audio chain from an original recording to what ultimately goes into your ears it helps explain the incredible variety of sound reproduction equipment we have available to us. There simply is NO absolute "target" to hit in home audio. What counts is what combination of equipment, setup and room you can make sound satisfying for the majority of the music you like to play. Usually the fuller the range of your speakers, the closer they can play at realistic volumes without noticeable distortion and the less detrimental interference from your room environment the better. Enjoy!!