Are audiophile products designed to initially impress then fatigue to make you upgrade?

If not why are many hardly using the systems they assembled, why are so many upgrading fairly new gear that’s fully working? Seems to me many are designed to impress reviewers, show-goers, short-term listeners, and on the sales floor but once in a home system, in the long run, they fatigue users fail to engage and make you feel something is missing so back you go with piles of cash.

128x128johnk

Showing 1 response by deadhead1000

When I sold stereo equipment in the 1980's, we had a Cerwin Vega knock off (5 inch woofer, ported, etc) that was all boom and highs. Sounded great to the teenagers who came in for their first stereo and played the latest  Alice Cooper, AC/DC or Led Zepplin.  We did try and sell them good stuff, but the good stuff sounded bland to them and they never took our advice. I even had a friend who brought the knock offs instead of the Mirage speakers we had, which were damn good.

Today? I think there is a little, but damn, if you like screeching highs and big bottoms, so be it. I'm talking speakers here of course....