Are advances in technology making speakers better?

B&w every few years upgrades there speaker line and other manufacturers do this to.  But because I have the earlier version does this mean it's inferior? Cable manufactures do the same thing.

How much more effort is required too perfect a speaker? my speaker is several years old and all the gear and the speaker are all broken in. And now I'm being told to upgrade.

I am so confused what should I do?

jumia

Except for my Node2i and DAC, I own 'vintage' gear'. Why? One: I can afford it and Two: I like the way my gear sounds. That said...

I recently went to the Pacific Audio Fest and, as expected, I heard some great sounding products. (And some 'meh', TBH) Now, all of this gear by definition was 'new' with the latest in materials and technology. And yet, I didn't leave feeling the overwhelming need to upgrade everything. Even if I had an unlimited audio budget, I didn't feel the need to tear out all my old gear to get the latest kit. Why?

I'm happy with the sound I have. And that IMHO is the question you should be asking yourself: Are you happy with your current source/DAC/speakers/cables/etc.? If you are not, and you're willing to part with the requisite amount of funds to get something you feel is better then my all means, go shopping. But if you're sitting with a glass of wine and enjoying the music, why get on the upgrade treadmill?

Anyways, I'm not trying to be a killjoy here. I'm merely suggesting that you take a good look/listen where you are first. If you can arrange an audition in your home with your gear for comparison, so much the better.

Happy listening.

kota1...I’m not being naive at all....wrong take. I’m stating MY opinion and that’s what these forums are about...You’ve got your opinion and I’ve got mine. I’m very satisfied with mine... I don’t have all chinese gear...only a few pieces...but oh...the value I get out of those is exceptional...Yes, you have to be careful but you also can’t judge All chinese products as junk...They make some pretty sophisticated electronics at very Reasonable pricing. I know the china bashers are here in force....but for open minded audiophile types...there are some fantastic values. PS. I don’t like Chinese speakers..Mine are Teckton...Klipsch Heritage...JBL...and Nola.

Of course it does! B&W, Meridian, Paradyme and others are using super materials such as diamond, beryllium to enhance  mid and high range. As my hearing goes down, the reproduction is getting better and better. Today, thanks to new technology, I have the entire Berlin philharmonic under Karajan in my living room. 

Marketing plays on all of us no matter how much you think it doesn't.

Just ask my wife how she likes the Home Shopping Network!

Should have blocked that sheeit the first time I heard of it.  Sheesh!

Only >100 pair of shoes later....................I still buy the gear I want.

Regards,

barts