are 4000$ /pr speakers today better than $4000/pr speakers from mid to late 1990's?

or 5k or 2k or 10k??
back then i was in love with:
thiel cs3.6,, cs 2 2s, 7s and even owned a pair of 1.6swilson audio tiny tots and watt puppiesapogee grandsb&w matrix 802's and 801'sb&w silver signatures - but for some things not everything
so lets say you could get 801's for $5500/pr back then, is a $5000/pr b&w today as good as the 801's then?
thanks.
ps - i do know that now my ears are probably not as good as they were when i was younger.

sgrue
speaker design has advanced a lot, materials got better but i feel that in many modern cases tuning is missing.
G
I like this^^^^. I did start buying up class A speakers from the 90's since they're finally affordable and reviewers of that time could really write a story. The more exotic the speakers get the more finicky they get regarding amplification so it's very possible a properly matched system from the 90's could out perform a state of the art speaker from today unless you're able to keep working to find the right components. The amp I bought that transformed the Salon 1 didn't perform the same magic on the salon 2 so even though the reviewer said the salon 2 was better in every way, in my system, n ot so much. Have fun and buy used.
thanks all, great comments to let sink in for a while.  i'm sure it does depend, but i'm also pretty sure that design, approach, materials have gotten a lot better. throwing price in there can mux it up. that 705 review did have a lot of interesting comments!  some sad but who knows.
Metal dome tweeters seem to sound less harsh but no less precise in current speakers than what I remember from speakers in the 90s.