Appropriate cartridge for Micro Seiki MA-505 tonearm

I recently acquired a nice, semi-vintage Micro Seiko BL-101 TT with the Micro Seiki MA-505 tonearm. I currently have a rather inexpensive Denon DL-103 cart on it, albeit modified by VAS (Steve Leung). It sounds pretty good as is, but I would like to explore better cartridges.

Before I run out and purchase one, I want to understand where the MA-505 stands in the pecking order. Would you consider it a mid-fi tonearm or is it worthy of more expensive cartridges? What price range would you consider to be appropriate for the tonearm? In other words, at what price point does the tonearm stop scaling with better cartridges?

In terms of what I’m looking for -- better resolution/detail retrieval but without sacrificing the palpability and slightly warm character of my current cartridge. I also wouldn’t mind more defined bass. Having said that, I’m fairly new to the analog side of the world, so please feel free to share your experiences and what other traits I should be looking for. Thanks in advance.

128x128arafiq

Showing 1 response by yogiboy