Apple lossless as a source

I want to play Apple music as a source from either PC or iPhone (or whatever).

Background:

I am rebuilding my system to get back to music.  I have several good but older components.  I don't want to spend 5000$, lol

What I have:

NAD 2200 Power amp- continuous 100 watts at 8 ohms. Its dynamic headroom is rated at 6 dB, which means that it can deliver—in 20-millisecond bursts, twice per second—400 watts per channel to 8 ohms, 600 watts to 4 ohms, and 800 watts to 2-ohm loads.

Totem Tabu speakers- Basically upgraded Totem Model 1.  Somewhere between a Forest and Forest Signature - very nice speakers that would be in the 5k range today.

I've been out of the audiophile stuff for many years (prior to all the digital stuff).  Basically, I want to figure out how to get from Apple Music to the amp in a cost-effective way with the best quality.  I am fairly technical but just haven't kept up with all the digital audio stuff.

moverton99

Showing 4 responses by mahler123

You can attach a PC or and iPad or iPhone to your amp. They all have low quality DAC contained within . Then depending which device you choose you may need an adapter of some sort. I would take whatever device you choose to the Apple store and let them help you. If you already own the PC or portable device this is the least expensive option.

Sound quality can be improved by upgrading the DAC in the source. The simplest way to do this is to buy a DAC that looks like a usb flash drive that will attach to the source and then attach to the RCA input on the amp.

If you have a component that accepts Bluetooth, AirPlay, or Google Chromecast, then you can send Apple Music wirelessly to that component. I listed the 3 wireless alternatives in ascending levels of sound quality. You will need a DAC, but most have these devices come with an included one. The most common term for these components are streamers, but the terminology for digital can be ambiguous.

I have tried to make this as simple as possible. It can get very complex. I always think that beginners should go slow. However $5K is a healthy budget that can buy a quality set up

I stream Apple Music from a Samsung tablet via Chromecast to my Cambridge Audio streamer.  The High Resolution tracks that Apple offers sound great this way.  If I use an Apple device, such as my iPhone, it doesn’t offer Chromecast so I have use AirPlay, which is better than Bluetooth, but Chromecast is preferred 

Nothing like asking one day for help with Apple, and then announcing the next day that they have switched to Qobuz.  I think I will wait a few days before I answer the next such query 

I have both the V2 and the CXN 100 in 2 different systems. The CA app allows for native Qobuz , either wired or via WiFi. Apple is either via Bluetooth, AirPlay, or Chromecast as discussed earlier.

Qobuz is a fine streaming service and it’s probably 1 step easier than having to ‘beam’ it from a phone. I was using it when my wife declared that she really wanted Apple Music. As most of my listening is from CDs that have been burned to my Melco server and then played back via the streamers, or else listening to Internet Radio with the streamers, I don’t want to pay for two streaming services. I find the Chromecast sound acceptable and the bother of having to ‘beam’ it to the streamer from the phone is no worse than the ritual of opening a CD and placing it in a player.

My complaint with Qobuz was canceling the service. They make it difficult to do from the site. Several attempts failed and every month I was disputing the charge with my credit card company. Qobuz customer support is AI, named Sebastian, which is as helpful as as dealing with Charles De Gaulle. I finally had to cancel the credit card to get rid of them. I suspect that you gave your credit card information as part of your free service. If you decide not to go with the service, check your monthly statement to make sure that you aren’t being billed