Apogee Centaur or Apogee centaurus slant 6?

Hi dear fellows!I would like to know which one of these Apogees sounds better.I have heard Apogee Centaur and I was ovewhelmed by the transparency, warmness and detail of sound.I was also satisfied with the bass as well, even if the reviews states that this is not the strong point of this model.I would like to know specifically which are the differences in terms of sound between the Centaur and the Centaurus Slant &.My sistem consists in a Krell Kav 300 cd, ARC Ls2B MK2 preamp and ARC D 200 amp.I use Purist maximus as interconnects and Purist museaus biwire speaker cables.Room size is 15 x 14 feets,Thanks for your comments.Rafael
rafael0054

Showing 1 response by br3098

Rafael0054, the Apogee hybrid ribbon speakers can sound amazing, if you can find a pair in good condition and if you have the amp(s) to drive them properly. I have owned several models of Apogees over the last 20 years.

All things being equal, I would advise you to select the latest model in the largest size. I would take the Cepheus 6 before the Slant 6, and I would take either before any model Centaur. Being that the Cepheus 8 doesn't exist (for all practical purposes), I would choose the Slant 8 over the Cepheus 6 *IF* I had right room and the right gear.

IMO, your room is on the smallish side for any of these speakers. They need a lot of air around them - 3'-4' from the back (front?) wall and at least 3' from the side walls - more is better. The Cepheus 6 is a little better in small rooms than the Slant series, but not by much. I would try corner bass traps and treating the wall in front of the speakers (behind the listener) if the room proves to be problematic. Or try a digital room correction system like Dirac. Good luck