Anyone NOT like the sound of VPI?

I'm wondering if I'm just not a VPI guy. Bought a Scoutmaster with signature JMW arm and a Shelter 501 MKII cartridge. This was after buying a Rega P3-24 with an Elys II cartridge. Thought the Rega was very dark sounding (at least with that cartridge).

The VPI sounded unnatural to me (no midbass whatsoever). Thought it was a bad cartridge, but recently heard a Scout (with signature arm) equipped with a Dynavector cartridge. This was on a system at a retailer where I was auditioning speakers and I didn't think it sounded much different from what I have at home.

While I hate overdone midbass, I certainly miss it if it's absent. I'm wondering if I'm just not a VPI guy and should try something else - maybe a Rega (P5?) with a different cartridge...

madfloyd
HW,

Thanks for participating. It's exciting to see you post here.

FYI, Mike is a gem; but you already know that :-)

Cheers,

Spencer
I would take a close look at your phono stage, I recently changed out some coupling caps, made all the difference in the world. If your problem is the same as mine, all the changes in setup or cartridges are not going to solve the problem. I don't know what caps the Pro-ject uses, but this is the first place I would look. You should also see if you can audition a higher quality phono stage.

My recent experience illustrates the importance of a quality phono stage. At this point I think it may be the most important link in the analog chain.
Wish I had more time to really get into it with you guys. Keep up the good work and giving great advice.

HW
For a temporary fix, go to Home Depot and get some Moretite. Take a blob of it and put it under the headshell. Adjust the VTF and see what happens
I should also mention I had the previous iteration of the Pro-ject Tube Box with a Rega P25. I thought the bass was somewhat lightweight with that setup. Knowing what I know now, perhaps it wasn't the Rega, rather the Tube Box that was holding back the bass. Just something to think about.