anyone listened to JVC DVD-AUDIO player?

Has anyone compared the JVC XV-D723GD DVD-Audio player to other dvd-audio players or CD players? (Technics DVD-A10, Toshiba SD-9200, Denon, etc.)
bufus

Showing 1 response by tmartinjr9589

I bought the JVC when it was $600 and a Panasonic A-7 about 5 months ago. The CD and DVD-V sound was no better than my 2 year old Sony 300. I thought the JVC was more detailed, but harsher than the other two. Of the three, my 22 year old son preferred the JVC. I slightly preferred the other two. They were close.

The JVC had trouble playing a couple of my DVD-Vs (Sixth Sense and Stop Making Sense). These discs played on the other two players.

DVD-A was a noticable improvement. Better definition and trebble extension. I still wasn't pleased. It just didn't seem good enough.

I listened to the Denon in the store and it didn't appear to sound much better than the other two and it was $1100 with no progressive scan.

I couldn't find an A-10, which was a good thing becasue it sold for around $600 then. So on impulse and with a 30 day return guarantee, I bought a Sony 9000ES for $1300. Wow.
CD and DVD-V play on the Sony was vastly superior to DVD-A play on both the JVC and A-7. SACD play was another step up. After one day of listening I returned both the JVC and A-7. I spent my next 28 days looking for something to beat the Sony--but no. Couldn't find anything.

Don't buy the JVC or A-7. They're not that good. Buy a Technics A-10 if you want a bargain mid-fi piece.

Or study the new generation stuff. Sony is coming out with DVD/SACD players in the $300-$500 price range in late summer. Technics supposed to come out with a replacement for the A-10 any day now.