Anyone have experience with Denon DVD-2910?

I am helping a friend put together a combo home theater / audio system, and recently read a very positive review of the Denon DVD-2910 in "The Perfect Vision". The DVD-2910 is a universal disk player, and the review said it is better than most of the flagship models from the mass-market manufacturers, and as good as many high-end DVD/SACD/CD players at 2-3 times the price (MSRP is $679).

My friend wants a player with very good audio playback, since he has a large CD collection, but he also wants a player that handles DVD's well, and will allow him to start acquiring some SACD's.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the DVD-2910? If so, your input would be very helpful.
sdcampbell
Thanks very much for the input, guys. I also got a couple of private responses that also had positive things to say about this unit.

After I made this post, I found a professional review of the DVD-3910 (MSRP: $1499) on Audioholics, which gave the unit a highly favorable review, and awarded it their "Editor's Choice" award.

Based on the info I've gotten, sounds like the 2910 needs a serious audition. Thanks again.

Scott C-
MARCH 15, 2005
I have owned one for about 6 months. A great item. Solidly built and designed. Great sound and picture (DVI, HDMI connection.) My highest recommendation. Can't do better for the money.
Magazines say every piece of budget gear compares to gear 2-3 times the cost. LOL
Dunno about ther 2910, but i have the 2900 and love it. from what i understand though, oddly enough, the 3910 was the replacement for the 2900 while the 2910 was the replacement for the 2200?.
WTF?
LOL
I own that baby and love it. I'm more into the DVD/picture aspect, rather than the sound. Of course when I play an SACD I'm listening through a Nad 320 and Definitive technology speakers. Not the greatest electronics/speakers in the world so I really don't know how the 2910 would hold up played through my rig. Delivers a beautiful picture...sorry I can't help you more. Feel free to email me with any quesitons. peace, warren