Anyone ever swap a driver on their B&W 600 series?

Hi everyone :)

I have a pair of B&W DM605 S2 that I bought brand new 20+ years ago. Really like them, and have been happy with them over the years.

However, over the past decade +, my ears have gotten a lot better, as I compose music for a living and mix my own stuff. I still like them, but ...

They are VERY low-mid heavy. That of course, depends on what you consider ’low-mid’; here I am talking 500hz range.

With the understanding that the box (enclosure) weighs heavily on the sound (as does the room, of course), I am wondering if it might be worth it to swap a driver. It might not be worth it, but wanted to see if anyone has done this, and to what effect, if any.

Thoughts/experience will be appreciated. :)

riffwraith
Thanks both.

So, it's not 'ripping' out a driver'... it's just replacing one :)

No tone control, diff room placement not feasible (besides, that in all likelihood wouldn't help what I am looking to cure), and I do not have an EQ. Trying to not get one; trying to keep the signal as pure and clean as possible. I would buy new speakers before adding an EQ. Which to some is going to seem counter productive, I know, but...

Why would I need a redesigned crossover if i swap a woofer?

you wouldn't need to do anything to the crossover if you use an original replacement driver.
Well, obviously I am not looking to use an original replacement driver.

So, why would I need a redesigned crossover if i swap a driver?
Unless you found a driver can give you the intended frequency response curve without modify the speaker cabinet, DIYers usually apply a Notch Filter to correct frequency response instead of swap out drivers.