Any thoughts on Pass X150.8 ?

I don't see any reviews or impressions of this amp. Any thoughts?
smodtactical

Showing 3 responses by kingdeezie

@smodtactical 

I enjoy the 350.8 very much. I have Soundlab electrostatics, so I wanted the extra juice. The 350.8 is the only amplifier I have ever had on the Soundlab speakers. 
I would agree with DEP. The Pass Lab preamplifiers are great. Just a couple of months ago I upgraded to an XP-32 from an XP-22, and its the best preamplifier I have ever had to this point in my audiophile journey.

Great tonality, resolution, dimensionality, and speed without the tube hassle.  

Using it in conjunction with a 350.8, and am very happy. 

In terms of the 150.8, Steven Stone has one in his stable of reference amplifiers for reviews. The fact that he has kept it for a few years should say that, at the very least, the amplifier isn't horrible. 

In terms of reliability, customer service, and (because the audiophile itch gets to us all) good resale value, I don't think you could go wrong with the 150.8. 

@smodtactical

WC has a huge following on audiogon because of his monstrous amplifier thread and all the gear he has gotten to experience. You have to admire the endeavor.
Whether or not his opinion on the Pass Labs .8 steers your decision would be based on how well you think your preferences align with WC.  

In terms of professional reviews, the .8s always do well. Doug S has waxed poetic about the 200.8s. 
Also interesting is how wildly variant the opinions are. One person says they sound less lively than the .5, while another says they sound sterile and less musical. So which is it? Are they warm and muddy, or threadbare and cold? 
At the end of the day, you have to audition things in your system. Trusting online opinions only serves as a foundational basis for which direction to head in. 
Quite often I’ve got suckered in to buying something that was raved about, and ended up sounding disappointing to me.