Any one know why my oppo 981 sounds muddy on dvds

When I play cd's Ive been very satisfied, however I played a dvd and it seems kinda muddy, the dialoge is extra quiet and muffeled and theres a over tone of base that tends to feel very fatigueing by the end of the movie. I had a marantz player before and although it doesent perform as well on cd playback as the oppo, its not fatiging to watch a dvd on it. I just wanted to know if anyone else felt this way
jonnyblaze
How do you have it connected to your system? Are you using analog interconnects from the Oppo to you receiver/pre-amp? Are you using a digital connection (optical, coax or HDMI) from your Oppo to receiver/processor?

Based on your description of the sound, I'm guessing you are getting correct sound from CD, but for DVD I think you are only getting the discreet L&R front channels of sound and you are missing the discrete sound that is intended for the center channel/surrounds.

This could just be a setup problem. Go into the Oppo and set the sound to "stereo or PCM", especially if you are only using 2 speakers in your setup. If you are currently set up for dolby digital output, but only have 2 channels of amp/speakers, you may just be missing the sound intended for the center channel and surrounds.

Enjoy,

TIC