Any difference in SQ from USB drive storage to NAS playback?

Not sure if there is any difference in theory but.....

Should there be any difference in SQ of files played back through a USB hard drive or flash drive plugged directly into back of my streamer.
Vs the same ripped files accessed by internet from a  NAS?

128x128uberwaltz

Showing 5 responses by tomic601

Greg just North of Redondo, pick the wrong flood tide and its a short but chilly swim...
Uber to keep this less contested, when you visit Seattle this summer remind me to do a test listen with you of Jitterbug in the Unitiserve with SP-DIF into the DAC
there will be Pinot and smoked salmon, of course the Trollers ( pardon the pun ) will claim no double blind differences between farm ( ugh ) and wild fish ( yum )

I should point out as others have that jitter and noise vary by format. For any USB ( 2.0 and 3.0 ) I use the Audioquest Jitterbug.

nice story : I was visiting an unnamed robotic machine tool supplier to check progress with final acceptance testing of a $100 M fleet of machines. Open the panel and it is chock a block full of Jitterbugs. I saw the MTBF and bit error rates with and without. Ordered enough to plug all the ports that evening.

your ones and zeroes mileage may vary
A quality NAS running a fair distance via Ethernet sounds better than local UsB spinning disc storage.. I suspect this is caused by higher noise drive and limitations on USB protocol/ switcher power supply close to preamp... the best sound is USB 3.0 stick plugged right in front of NAIM DSD128 especially good.

the NAS and stick are very very close tho..