Any audiophile use computer (MacBook) as your audio streaming source?

I rarely see any audiophile talking about streaming audio digital sources from a computer. I understand MacBook can accept native lossless formats form all the various platforms, and it can store unlimited music files in any format, so supposedly it’s the best source, and the digital file is the most purest before it’s fed to the dac. Anyone compared the sound quality of computer vs other audio streamer? 

randywong

Why ask this to a group that uses usb to the dac? The sound is already compromised by using usb.

What do you think your streamer is? It’s a computer running probably a tainted Linux version. You think Linux is better than OS X? Try again. Some manufacturers think by eliminating all diagnostics from the OS it will run better. This might have been true 40 years ago but with today’s arm processors running trillions of operations a second (15.8 trillion operations for an older Apple M2 processor), you won’t see any difference. 
If you use the computer in a different room from your audio, you will not hear any difference. You would be better off getting a better dac that doesn’t use usb.

The software you run on the computer makes the biggest difference after you stop using usb. Download Roon or audirvana and run it on a computer running a flavor of OS to your liking and you will hear differences between the software. Audirvana was better than Roon but Roon has caught up but I just can’t accept going backwards using the gui of Audirvana over Roon 

And here we go....... again

If you search the internet you will find at least 1000 threads discussing this exact same question. You will find that they all contain the exact same information, in fact, some of the same people here are posting the same things over there.

One side side says there is a night and day difference in streamers. The other side says it makes absolutely no difference. A few people are in the middle

If you go to Audiophile Style you will find a group that has invested near $100,000 (yes one hundred thousand american dollars) in streaming computers, 10’s of $1000’s in cables, power supplies, clocks, reclockers for USB and ethernet and multiples of those. They also upsample everything to 16-32 X the base rate They swear it is all necessary to achieve the best.

others use a $100 Raspberry Pi and claim the same results

so here is the answer to your question... read it carefully

You will never find the answer here or on any forum. The ONLY way to determine the answer for YOU is for YOU to try it.

so all you all can just move along, nothing new to see here. There is NOTHING anybody can add to this conversation that isn't posted in 1000 other threads here and elsewhere

I use Audirvāna to play files up to 256 DSD on a recent model Mac Mini with SSD drive and 8 GB memory, stripped down just for music. It feeds a PS Audio Directstream DAC via usb thru an I2S unit. I have tried the Pro-Ject Stream Box, which gets rave reviews, and returned it pronto. I auditioned a Bluesound Node, and was not impressed. I do use the Bridge II card in the DAC to stream Qobuz and can’t hear a difference from CDs or Redbook files on my Magnepan .7s fed by a Rogue Sphinx. While a member of my local audio club says he thinks streamers can make as much difference as DACs, I have to think you need to get into a $$$ range streamer to get an appreciable difference.

If you already own a DAC that has a good clock, galvanic isolation and all the I/O ports you want, you don’t really need a DDC.

@devinplombier My experience along with many others here is a bit different.  Adding a DDC can provide a better signal to a DAC, and even a DAC with a good clock benefits and sounds better by having to do less work to clean up the incoming signal.  Further, if your DAC accepts i2S and the DDC allows you to take advantage of that input the DAC is also freed from having to separate the clock from the data signal that can also provide significant sonic benefits.  I’d bet there are very few DACs that wouldn’t benefit in one way or another from a good DDC and is likely even more true if you’re feeding a DAC from a non-optimized, multi-use computer.  I’d encourage anyone with a DAC to at least try a DDC as it can be a relatively cost-effective way to provide very meaningful improvements.  That was very much my experience anyway. 

I use a Mac mini, with Audirvana, USB-out into a Gold Note DS-10. Everything sounds good. I haven't noticed any ground loops, noise or any other intrusions, but then again my current noisefloor on my amps isn't 100% silent and may be drowning out some tiny digital interference. 

I wouldn't mind experimnenting with throwing a DDC into the chain but I haven't yet.