Anti-skate adjustment off Thorens TD 146 with Schopper wand

I just replaced a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge (with MP-200 stylus) with Nagaoka JT-80BK on my Thorens TD 146 with Schopper wand (TP 11 tonearm).  No real issues with MP-110, just has some hours on it.

I mounted the JT-80 and all adjustment were made and correct (i think).  However, I can't get the tracking force adjusted.  With ZERO tracking force (anti-skate weight removed: the small weights on nylon line) there is still too much anti-skate force.  Tonarm does not track towards spindle on smooth vinyl (black side of one sided record).  When I used a test record, the tonearm would not advance (skipping back playing the same thing over and over).  

I can't seen to solve this problem.  There we no issues with the table with MP-110.  Using Hi-Fi News Analogue Test LP, the MP-110 did fine.

Sorry, but I may not be using the correct vocabulary.  

Can you help me diagnose issue?  Or do I need to abandon JT-80 (ouch, $500)?

Thanks for listening.

Tim

waxer

Showing 5 responses by waxer

lewm was tight.  The cuing device is too high and impeding horizontal travel.  I need to do some research to figure out how to adjust cuing.

Any ideas.

Thanks to you both for your quick reply.  I used to enjoy tinkering with my stereo.  But now at 68, I just want to play records.

Simple adjustment of cuing arm.  Allen screw and dripped arm just a few mm.  Not sure why it was out of adjustment.  Hopefully test records will verify adjustment of new cart.  Thanks again.

I did not lower the pivot.  I changed back to thinner, original platter mat to get cartridge level.  Senior moment.

Now, the auto shut-off is not consistently working.  Before I switched cartridges, I had only a couple of records that did not trigger the auto shut-off.  After switching cartridges, most records do not trigger auto shut-off.  Does lowering the lift arm have an affect on the auto shut-off?  Is there an adjustment for the auto shut-off?

Tim

Another senior moment.  My tonearm lift must not be level.  The tonearm sticks on the lift at the end of record so stops before triggering the auto shut-off.

Thanks for tolerating lame questions.

Finally, all issues resolved.  The setup passed all the test records (HiFI News, CBS, Shure, old Realistic test lp) with flying colors.  Only added minimal anti-skate.  Even flawlessly tracked cannons on Telarc 1812. Very pleased with performance so far.  Just finished listening to Gene Clark's White Light from the 1971.  I heard details that I have never heard before. Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Guests Vol 3 never sounded better.  It is one of my go-to LPs for system check. Looking forward to re-listening to my collection.  $$ well spent.

Thanks for your help

Tim