Another one (server) bites the dust! Aurender N10 vs. N200

Well, my Musicvault that has served me SO well for a long, long time has begun to serve up errors. My needs and desires for a new server/streamer seem to be met by Aurender's N series and I'm curious if anyone can comment on the sonic differences between the N10 and the N200 for serving and streaming....They're both in my budget.

Mostly, it looks like the N200 has better power isolation and the N10 has a better clock. I imagine that doesn't tell the whole story, though. 

Can you serve up some sensible subjective sonic experiences (please and thank you)?

budburma

Showing 5 responses by budburma

Thanks for that. I think we have a shared audio friend who  I bought my Modwright KWA 150SE from Which, I believe, May have been yours? I have a diagnosable audio sweet tooth and tender shy away from “more detail“ as it Can sound angular and etched. Tonal density, though, is my wheel house.

@fuzztone @charles1dad I agree! Good clean power feeding good clean power supplies is the best place to start. I rewired for my audio system w/extensive thought out arrangements of 3 dedicated lines to separate digital from power (with one for analog for good measure) based on all sorts of obsessive research and a white paper from Vince Galbo with a separate subpanel/copper busses, high silver content contact grease, isolators/ground scrubbers, and a large in-line noise suppressing conditioner between the main and sub panel along w/the nicest sound outlets I listened to and Alan Kafton's last box of cryo'ed Diamond Handiwire). Phewy!

Isolation and power supply do seem critical, especially for digital gear. I'm curious if you've heard the Aurenders? The last 12-18mos of N10's had upgrades on their power supplies and might tip the scale towards them...

Enjoy the tunes,

Art

Thanks, @charles1dad. Hearing is believing!

@blisshifi CY it was! Well, the 200 is inviting. I've got my thinking cap on. I know CY has a lot of faith in your insights. My automatic suspicion of dealers and their products may be misfiring. I appreciate the opportunity for a side conversation. One member here whose owned both, listened extensively and owns the W20SE is more enamored of the N10 - in particular, the later power supply upgraded unit. Not that it matters, but 'all but discontinued' is no big deal to me as a long time "previous generation" buyer.

@oddiofyl thanks for the insight, support definitely counts. money well spent indeed!

@blisshifi i hear (read) you. i'm stuck a little on the oven clock, too. everything making a difference, i'm not intuitive or educated enough to know how to weight one piece of the the path/what step makes the most difference. that said, all things to reduce jitter and isolate the signal makes some sense to me, but Isn't it odd that a needle scritching across plastic sounds so good! Anyway, not to argue/open that can of worms - I like both (it's a floor wax, it's a dessert topping...).

Seriously, straight dope, there's so much attention to clocks and reclocking - it seems so basic that a significant amount of sonic attention be paid there - the OXCO doesn't offer a significant difference in coherence and delivery over the TXCO? Maybe that another can of worms with all the attendant pathway tech talk that will cloud my eyes and mind over and make a wishlist of the ineffable musical which is all the gravity pulling our individual audiolove.

Your website is easy enough to find. I'll ring you up.

@blisshifi Funny timing! I ended up with an Antipodes set up and JUST got it up running today after 2 months. Life is complicated sometimes... It sounds great at first blush, too, although I'm still not completely convinced. One box and the better UI (it seems) have their advantages for sure. From what I read, in the end, the Antipodes sound profile matches my preference. We shall see....the one thing I know for certain is that everything changes. Everything everywhere all the time as Oscar sez.