Another Cart opinion thread....

Hi all,

I have a Music Hall 2.3SE and am looking to upgrade the stock cart (essentially an AT95E).  I'm considering the AT VM540ML, Nagaoka MP-150, Sumiko Moonstone and perhaps Denon-110.

I'm looking for something with great detail, not too bright, tight bass and smooth mids.

I have a Rega Mini phono stage, Krell HTS 7.1 pre/pro, Adcom 5802 amp, Martin Logan SL3's and a REL Storm III sub.

Any suggestions?  Differences in sonic quality between these carts?

TIA
waybro
So many variables in the production of analog sound from vinyl....table, cart, preamp, amp, speakers, and a lot of other things. If you have a local dealer willing to lend equipment for a home trial you are very lucky. Take him up on his offer and audition as many variables as you can.

Cartridges.....that's a hard one. I went back to a vintage Pioneer PL-530 table I bought long ago after selling a much more expensive table. The Pioneer was last fitted with an AT cart. After putting the Pioneer back into service I decided to install a new cart. Went with a Grado Gold just on a whim and advice from a local dealer suggesting that the cart probably wouldn't perform best until at least 50 hours of break in. He was right.

Whatever recommendations anyone gives, it all comes down to what sounds better for you. Someone with the exact setup as you may have completely different tastes in sound. It's, for the most part, a gamble a lot of the time.

Well said.  Yes,  I'm lucky to have someone local willing to lend equipment, but like you said....the cart is a total gamble.  I'm sure any of the carts I'm looking at, or the ones mentioned here would be pleasing,  I'm also sure, I'll be questioning my decision no matter what it is!
I own the original mmf7 with original eroica h cartridge. It’s a fabulous table. It was in storage for many years and recently brought it back out and it plays like day 1. My recommendation, as another said, is to maybe replace the preamp. I highly recommend either the musical fidelity lx lps or the lx2 lps, essentially the same preamp. They are unique in that you can change out loading plugs in the rear. They sound fabulous with fantastic midrange. I thought of selling my mmf7 but cannot bring myself to getting rid of it just yet. It was my second turntable....the first being a denon dp 37f. You can grab a lx2 lps on Amazon right now for $199 reduced from $299. The lx lps can be had for $250. One difference I found is that for some strange reason, only the lx lps comes with an assortment of loading plugs, the lx2 does not. What hifi 5 star reviewed preamp for what its worth....my eye is on the pro-ject the classic evo....music direct is the only retailer showing it on their website, however it says out of stock and 6 to 8 weeks out....it can be preordered. If it's anything like the classic sb, then it should sound terrific for only $1599.