And while I'm asking, has anyone modified Sony ss-cs5 speakers with a GR Research kit?

I've seen these rather pedestrian looking speakers reviewed  by countless YouTubers. GR claims to be able to turn them into great speakers.  I just looked on the GR website and see that the kit costs $480.00, plus shipping and tax, not to mention the work involved in building them, making it a rather expensive proposition for a speaker that I can by on CL for sixty-five bucks, doesn't have much more than 85dB peaks and bass that takes a dive at 90hz.  The kit for the ATC 19's costs less but I guess the Sony's really need a lot of parts.  

128x128vitussl101

Showing 2 responses by vitussl101

Yes but Gr doesn’t replace the drivers. Have you seen these speakers? I have designed and built speakers, I even rebuilt a pair of Sonys. They were smallish with reasonable cabinets and that was about it.  I had on hand about 99% of everything I needed and the cabinets were just the right size for this project. I gutted them of everything; the cheap drivers, x-overs and started from scratch by cutting new openings for the new drivers, bracing the cabinets front to back and constraining the sides together, then dampening the interior with heavy material, plus porting the cabinet. Even the grilles were removed and I made better looking/functioning grilles. Plus the spring speaker connectors and that whole crappy cup replaced, finally a new x-over with polyprop caps, air core inductors, good quality resistors and a black semi gloss paintjob. It weighs 3-4 times as much and basically a whole new speaker. My point of all of this is that $500.00 worth of x-over parts on something with drivers that look less robust than than my Sony’s (Fun?) project originally had. Also it seems like for six or seven hundred bucks you can by some nice used speakers. I guess what I have been getting atis that it was an odd choice of a speaker to choose to rebuild. What next, Radio Shack Minimus 7’s or Zenith allegros?

(jim2) Still have not seen a single review from a customer on Gr update for the Sony's so let the people know when you're finished with them and run them through their paces.  Don't get me wrong about Danny, I have spoken with him and an employee and I found him honest, and knowledgeable, and firmly believe that he truly believes in his work.  I may not agree with all of his notions, Tube Connectors for one, but his prices are very fair for the parts he specs.  

And since I wrote this a year ago, the sarcastic comment (I make a lot of them) I made about modifying Minimus 7's, Zenith Allegro's, I modified a pair of clean Minimus 7's that were sitting in a closet because of blown mid/bass drivers based on a video I saw on YouTube.  A much improved x-over; Jantzen(Denmark) Metallized polypropylene caps plus Audyn(Germany) MKP metalized polypropylene foil caps, high quality resistors plus wire, and five-way binding posts. Drivers were a huge improvement that with some shaving were drop in replacements.  Remarkably clean clear detailed sound.  Now these could work well with a subwoofer.